Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

charlee

My GTV V6 TB

493 posts in this topic

Nothing special here. 166 calipers with 305 discs (thanks Paso) and TRW pads. I was thinking about 330mm, but I really don't need them at the moment.

Sweet Charlee! The 166 calipers fill in a bit more than the 3L i have on mine. Maybe I have to swap.... ;)
I have not noticed any more pedal traveling. Have you pumped out the air properly? But in general the pedal should travel a bit more as it have more volume to fill with oil... :)

I still have to bed the brakes. But more pedal travel is noticable. The brakes had a two day bleeding :D properly, I hope. 

Should I replace the master cylinder with the 3.0 one, if it's different? 

Greetings charlee :thumbsup: . Waiting for your impressions.

I have notice more pedal travel and also have read such feedback for other cars. The travel of the pedal depend on the ratio between area of master cylinder and sum of areas of calipers pistons. So if that ratio is not changed after changing of calipers, the travel of pedal shouldn't be changed. And now I have forgotten what was before upgrade  :D (I haven't driven other GTV).

Thanks for the info :) One thing I have noticed... the ABS kicks in too early and for no reason. Could it be there is air still in the system? I understand you cannot bleed the ABS, so does it have to be vacuumed out?

Thanks for the info :) One thing I have noticed... the ABS kicks in too early and for no reason. Could it be there is air still in the system? I understand you cannot bleed the ABS, so does it have to be vacuumed out?

You can bleed the abs. You can do this by connecting multiecu scan and running through the abs system module. It will cycles all the solenoids and force air out of the unit into the brake lines. You then bleed the brakes. 

Or you can do it the old fashioned way and just stomp on the brakes enough to get the abs kicking in, this will essentially cycle the solenoids and then you bleed the brakes. I did this 3 times last time as I got an air lock in the system. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty confident you can bleed the abs. 

In most cases there is not difference when bleeding ABS and non ABS vehicle. The difference is when the vehicle have additional reservoir for ABS and our model don't have such as far as I know.

About early kicking of ABS maybe with better stopping now the ABS module recognize "emergency" braking and activate it. From what I have read ABS are "self learning", so with more cycles it will be "trained" (I'm not sure for that). So be sure you have bleed the brake properly and drive for a while.

P.S. I have send you a PM some time ago!

I've read that air can get in the ABS (GTV too). 

Orgigeorgie, I'll try with MultiECUScan first.

Kunev, I haven't seen any messages for some time

wooowww very very nice work charlee... i m in love with your wonderful GTV... good ideas, very good job bro.

Ok, so the car is in the garage for the last few months. Haven't driven it at all. A couple of weeks ago, I've started removing the LPG installation (the GTV has reached full project car status :D ) and replaced all gaskets and seals I could without removing the heads. I have cleaned the valve covers and heads of all the gunk inside (Selenia) and adjusted the valves.

Spark plug gaskets were shot and leaked oil into the spark plug wells, not a nice thing to do :)

I have an almost complete set of engine gaskets so I've changed all I could at the moment. Cams were inspected and they are fine for now. 

All the chrome pipes were cleaned and polished. Injectors were changed for Bosch 0 280 150 701 (166 3.0), all nuts and bolts were replaced with inox counterparts (except the M7 bolts, will get titanium ones soon). All cables, wires, grounds were cleaned/changed. Got some new conduit, etc. I still need to get all new connector boots for the injectors and other stuff. All wire looms were cleaned and retaped with textile tape.

Pipes and hoses were removed (still need to work on the bottom part) and cleaned. I've replaced all clips and clamps. Will be getting new silicone hoses in the near future. 

The valve covers, plenum, front black plate, fuel rails and other metal bits were powdercoated.

The sump will be removed, inspected and cleaned. I have ordered a new expansion tank, so will be changing that too.

Will be getting a TH05H-12B soon but it doesn't have the original downpipe, so I'm looking for one as it's a bit of a problem in fabricating one without driving 60km without an exhaust. Well, I do need to make some new pipes, so who knows ;) Which pipe diameter should be ok to use for the downpipe? As I've noticed, MHI turbos had a smaller diemeter downpipe? Should 2,5" be good? I will change the exhaust from the downpipe, remove the cat part and straight to the back. Any suggestions?

Oh yes, and I'll replace the heat insulation panel from the engine this week. It has seeen better days. New ignition cables and distributor cap are in the works too.

So, yes, it will be an interesting winter (btw, 15°C yesterday). 1st cylinder sensor that was shot will be changed today and hopefully the car will start this week :D 

This is the current state. Still a lot to do.

gtv-engine-01.jpg

Wonderful... This is Alfa Romeo... :wub:

Edited by joeGTV

:D

I need a remap :)

I have on mine :) , and you get the chance to use your cylinder head gaskets in your gasket set. :D