Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BRX0804

Project Alfa - Philippines

102 posts in this topic

Damreg... I have fully paid for my orders to Gazzella since June 2013. This  amount is not measly it is a large amounts for a lot of  parts. I don't want to mention the exact amount.   What name should I call them??? :smile23:  :busted:  :crazy:  :fear::dweeba::kill_myself:  These smileys should tell  you my emotions but I am trying to keep cool no matter what.....

Just a thought,  Damreg are you selling your front brake calipers?

I have my old front calipers (V6 TB), and can send them to you if you want.

Great project, BTW  :thumbsup:  Welcome aboard!

Yes, like Charlee I can separate from them   ^_^

Is there like with the TS, two different brand of calipers?

Damgreg/Charlee..... you guys are awesome!!! :b021:

I don't need them right now but I will keep these in mind when I go stripping off the entire suspension system and placing the new shocks, bushings (if gazella racing ever delivers), pads, etc..  The rear subframe is undergoing some reinforcements in the shock mounts because there was an incident here that the rear shock absorber holder broke off.  I should be able to get them tom and have it sandblasted and ready for paint.  I will repaint all the suspension arms and others.  I will be looking into the reinforcements of the entire suspension system to include the fabrication of engine strut bars etc.  Most of the builds in this project is customized parts.  We are even contemplating of making our own front lower A-Arms that could fit a readily accessible ball joint here in the Philippines.  No worries, we build race cars here so we know what we can do or not.

Though we have pretty good idea already of what to do with the entire suspension system.

One wild idea i am thinking of was to do a dual front caliper brake system. :rolleyes:  We have done this in our other cars.  Charlees front calipers will be in good use here....  :clap1:  This should stop the car much better than buying Brembos at lesser cost....  just a thought.  But if we do this, will send you guys a detailed photo of how we did it.

Since I am working on the bottom part  of my GTV.  Just want to show you guys what my exhaust system looks like.  The exhaust system are 3-in SS pipes and split via T to 2 - 2.5 in SS pipes then to 2 Remus Exhaust mufflers.  The sound has a very unique and distinctive bass.  Tuning of the exhaust system was done changing the length of the resonator.  Initially, it was straight then we installed them with the resonator.

The T Shape provides for a little back pressure.  Though there is a special flange fabricated between the turbo outlet and the downpipe that also provided for the required back pressure for the engine.

The pipes besides the downpipe are from the waste gate located above the turbochargers.   Most of  the adjustable peripherals (BOV, Wategates, Boot Pressure, Fuel Regulator, etc) of  the modifications were located above the engine for easy access and for show.  Though I know some would want all these tucked in and colored black but this is my style... bling bling :P

There are minimal bends on the exhaust system for a smoother transition of the exhaust gases.

I would  have loved to get a better exhaust muffler that would perfectly tuck under the alfa for a cleaner look.  The Remus was the smallest diameter and proven system that could fit.  The exhaust system was fabricated by a Contractor here that exports aftermarket exhaust system to Europe and USA.  They are just rebadged in the country who ordered the exhaust system.  :wub:  They were all tig welded, polished and gas leak tested.  To bring the cost down I bought all the pipes and bends myself.

post-783-0-56471900-1393982686_thumb.jpg

post-783-0-80936900-1393982795_thumb.jpg

post-783-0-84163000-1393982875_thumb.jpg

post-783-0-16372900-1393982959_thumb.jpg

post-783-0-90515000-1393983015_thumb.jpg

post-783-0-44198700-1393983087_thumb.jpg

post-783-0-03529900-1393983158_thumb.jpg

A friend of Inspire showed me a month old used Bilstein and Koni Coilovers from a Corrado that we will check out and try to fit into my front suspension....  we plan to customize the fittings and make special spacers to adopt to the GTV.  This will be very interesting if it will be better than placing the Koni Sports Shocks that I have ordered...... hmmm decision decision.... :rolleyes: 

post-783-0-78669900-1394029549_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience with the exhaust build. I'm facing some problems in that department too, so it's great to see how you built yours.

Actually, I can export you one if you wish.  We have only V6 2.0TB engines here.  The exhaust shop can style it from there only to make the fitments correct.  I can vouch for the workmanship of the shop here.  They do export exhaust systems worldwide as you know.  if  you a personal design you wish they can do that for you as well.  Think about it......

My alfa is up and running and I am running too lean.   I need to change my Blow Off Valves or modify the valve spring retainer as it opening too soon.  I have already changed the springs to harder ones but it seems I need to fabricate an internal adjustment so that the springs can be compressed further..... another customization issue.  B)

I need to change my Blow Off Valves 

So you have two blow off valves  :huh: ? I see only one red colored on pictures in the first post of this topic.

Have you checked the valves with a compressor at fixed pressures? 

If your BOVs opens too early you will be running rich and not lean, because they release air to atmosphere, which is already metered by the MAF (if your ECU use a MAF sensor). If the ECU use a MAP sensor (speed density setup) there should be any influence on AFR.

Kunev,

I have only one BOV.  I am planning to change it to a better one. The BOV is open while in idle so I am running lean now.  I am looking into changing the springs to heavier ones or customize an adjustment on the springs.  Overall have to retune the entire system again. hmmmm...  My engine system has a MAF sensor and the ECU is piggy backed to a GREDDY Engine Management System.

Will see how everything works out.  Thanks.

Guys,

I am now working on the entire undersides of my car.   Can anybody tell me what's the camber and caster for the front and rear of our GTVs.  Mine is a phase 1 GTV V6 2.0 TB version..  Will appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

Guys,

I am now working on the entire undersides of my car.   Can anybody tell me what's the camber and caster for the front and rear of our GTVs.  Mine is a phase 1 GTV V6 2.0 TB version..  Will appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

:)

Wheel_Alignment_TB.pdf

Just got my new or shall we say refurbished Rear Subframe.  My former subframe was actually cut by the former owner and adopted a Kayaba Shock Absorber to fit.  It was longer than the originals and the ride was terrible.  One of the top mount holder of the rear shock also broke off maybe due to low  quality welding.  Nevertheless, to retain the integrity of Alfa Romeo, I bought a rear subframe from a breaker.  Had it sent it all the way to my country sent it to my machine shop for reinforcement on the shock absorber mount.

Whai we did was we tig welded another plate besides the mount to make it thicker.  I did this because there was an incident here where this rear shock mount broke off.  Since I have a 330hp engine with a plan of increasing to 400+ hp (by installing of GT35 turbos) I don't want to compromise on the overall integrity of the suspension.  Further upgrades are in the works.

I did not find it necessary to powder coat the rear subframe which I believe most would have done.  I had to watch on my expenses and it is under the chassis anyways and not seen very often . White was more outstanding to my taste. 

post-783-0-70863300-1399522334_thumb.jpg

post-783-0-26302300-1399522463_thumb.jpg

New Koni Sports Shocks on board.....  I did not go for coil overs as I am not going to  use the car on the race track anyways.   I am also using stock springs because lowering the suspension is not very good here in the Philiipines because our roads are not that great.  On my stock suspension I am already hitting bottom on most of the humps and pot holes. 

I am waiting for my brake calipers.  I am just waiting for a response from our friends who has commited to me. 

post-783-0-20936900-1399522906_thumb.jpg

Good work! The subframe looks fantastic but white isn't gone stay white for long :P

I think you chose wisely regarding the shocks. Coilovers wouldn't do you any favors on the public road.

I believe any color will not work long too because a lot of dirt will eventually accumulate in this subframe.  I will color the brakes, arms, axles, etc. But powder coating would be the best option here.

Most of the suspension joints also came in already.  I should be starting the disassembly of the entire suspension system soon.

Lets see. :banana:

GT35 range turbo is too big for a 400+ plan (I mean ball bearing Garrett turbo). Much better will be some GT30 ball bearing.

And with good head work, cams, fuel and tune you can get this numbers from some big GT28 ball bearing.

Good choice for dampers. Especially for street car sport dampers are better choice in my opinion. I don't remember to have read about Koni Sport with stock springs, so waiting for your opinion.

Kunev,

Thanks for the turbo tip.  Those are still just plans I need to get the underchassis right first and when I feel that the chassis can hold additional horsepower, then I go to the larger turbo.  The dreamed horsepower target is 500+.  That's why I have already installed the 4 point sparco seat belts already.... :rolleyes:

post-783-0-52448300-1400076969_thumb.jpg

The seat belts are clamped to a special angle bar that are bolted at the back of the seats.  They are secured to withstand a rollover just in case. I just have to think way ahead.

Kunev,

Thanks for the turbo tip.  Those are still just plans I need to get the underchassis right first and when I feel that the chassis can hold additional horsepower, then I go to the larger turbo.  The dreamed horsepower target is 500+.  That's why I have already installed the 4 point sparco seat belts already.... :rolleyes:

The seat belts are clamped to a special angle bar that are bolted at the back of the seats.  They are secured to withstand a rollover just in case. I just have to think way ahead.

post-783-0-52448300-1400076969.jpg

I'm sorry, but that seat belt installation is bad and will likely cause more injuries in the event of a crash, as opposed to reducing injuries like the standard 3 point seat belt does. 

Firstly, the shoulder straps should have no contact at all with the seat when you are strapped in. A race seat that's got shoulder strap holes should fit you so well in terms of backrest length that the shoulder straps go through the holes without touching the edges when you are buckled up. Consequently, as the straps are free to move around horizontally and rest on the seat's backrest, your current installation is dangerous. 

Secondly, the waist straps are, given the lack of guiding holes in the seats, free to move around too much. Unlike racing seats, these seats, and practically all street car seats with them, don't offer much support in any direction. In combination with the floppy waist straps, it is likely that your hipbones will slide beneath the waist straps in the event of a crash. In other words, the waist straps will do their best to crush a fair amount of internal organs in your torso. The waist straps should run over your hipbones at all times. 

Finally, seat belts with more mounting points than the standard 3-point version should, if you want to do it as close to perfect as possible, be fitted together with a roll cage (preferably with an integrated harness bar) and, needless to say, proper racing seats. 

I'm considering going halfway at some point in the future by installing a harness bar between the B-pillars, racing seats with sub-holes (5th and 6th strap) and 6-point harnesses, but a full rollcage is really the best option.

I just want to offer friendly advise  :)

Edited by Filip