Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
NineOneSix

My GTV 16vt

29 posts in this topic

Well after blowing her up 3 times and catching fire once I decided that the twin spark lump was not going in again... too much headache.

So I managed to get a 16vt donor cheaply, lucky it was a unfinished project car so the engine wasn't completely installed in the donor car (155)

7678c741.jpg

Donor came with some rather decent goodies too, like a PACE motorsport side mount intercooler for a 20vt.

271d322c.jpg

A fair pile of bit's I had bought too as I was previously intending on a 20vt conversion.

71485f49.jpg

Coilovers are for a 155 V6 which was an old project I never finished years ago and had them spare.

2eb4729a.jpg

Little bit of paint on the brembos originally from a GTA but the same as the GTV V6, thought yellow would be best on a rosso car :)

421c6714.jpg

First thing I had to sort was the wiring, which I must say is really easy to install into any car as it's completely separate from the main loom. First thing I did was rewrap them in self amalgamating tape which took about 3 rolls and then labelled all connectors for easy install.

0b0657d5.jpg

a05db41c.jpg

ea49d4e0.jpg

I bought a generic intercooler installation kit from ebay, cost me 60 quid iirc.

e5682074.jpg

A few more bits, steering wheel boss kit for a 147 and a variable thermal switch for the rad fans.

d6754df6.jpg

One complete suspension assembly :)

63399703.jpg

Installed the fuel lines for the 16vt fuel rail and engine loom.

49b7a3c4.jpg

I swopped the gearstick tunnel as the coupe motor is cable operated while the twin spark is rod driven gear linkages, straight swop.

c6bf3be5.jpg

27774f85.jpg

Next was getting the 16vt in the car which I didn't even have to remove the engine mounts :lol: Best way was to go from underneath, I left the subframe and bonnet in place.

abb5b74a.jpg

f817c151.jpg

f817c151.jpg

Once engine was in I started installing the intercooler and pipework.

587fccd3.jpg

f950d7d2.jpg

746c3ad4.jpg

19dc36a5.jpg

Until I could afford to get an exhaust fabricated I welded in a piece of galv steel AC pipe I got from work to connect the downpipe to the original GTV exhaust system.

f64025ce.jpg

This is how she looked after about a week of work.

2a52571a.jpg

I wired a 4 pin connector into the car so the engine loom can simply plug into it.

d2d0852e.jpg

Installation of the 3L V6 hubs, with 20VT track rods and TREs also using the 155 coilovers which needed the older type non 916 top mounts.

1b0485fe.jpg

e9150a9a.jpg

60dc8a39.jpg

And she was back on the ground for the first time in 2 weeks :lol:

8149a30a.jpg

I fitted a 145 strutbrace as it was the neatest one I had ever seen, no silly kinks etc.

93c95963.jpg

Old wishie with TS hub etc.

9668e608.jpg

I've installed a CG Motorsport 6 paddle clutch kit, which I must say is quite grabby.

72705742.jpg

I had the tracking done, it's far from standard, but turn in is amazing! 4º camber 4º castor and .1mm toe out on the front.

a6ec3e4d.jpg

After cracking a rim in 2 places I had to invest in a new set of rims, OZ super turismo LM should do the job nicely I think :)

0f6b5a4b.jpg

OZSTGTLM.jpg

Bridgestone RE070 tyres for the new rims :D

cfe8820c.jpg

Old (1 year old) Team Dynamics pro race 1.0 cracked and I was gutted!

db2d395d.jpg

2f146547.jpg

New project ;)

1f1cc07c.jpg

Installed a gizzmo IBC boost controller, spool up is so much quicker with this setup :)

780abc5e.jpg

41b96654.jpg

Intercooler location with the bumper off, you can see it better at this angle.

5b7190ea.jpg

I had to ditch the washer bottle for induction from the intercooler, I installed this tiny 1.2L bottle :lol:

dc1593fa-1.jpg

My new fabricated exhaust system, 1 silencer and a motorsport sports cat (100 cell) 2.5"

ScreenShot2011-10-10at202949.png

First start, she kicked in straight away :D needed a new timing belt and water pump hence the noises, was all done and sorted :)

First drive without tracking done.

Can you give more details about your exhaust system? down pipe, φ, etc..

Also, what kind of turbo is that? T25?

Turbo is a garrett t34 iirc.

Exhaust was made by a company called longlife which is 2.5" from turbo to tail pipe. Single silencer and a 100 cell sport cat. All stainless :)

Very nice project. Just carry on :D and keep us posted.

Superturismo LM excellent wheels, also my next choice.

Unusual mods, thanks for sharing!

Feel like elaborating on blowing up TS engines? I was under the impression that they were quite sturdy :P

Other questions...

What 155 aftermarket coilovers did you use?

What sort of top mounts do they have?

Wouldn't it be awesome if coilovers for the Alfa 155 were cheaper, like FK or Lowtec, and you could fit them to the 916 using other top mounts? I heard/read somehwere that top mounts from the Fiat Brava give you more negative camber than the originals  :thumbsup:

Woooooooooooooooow really love that engine swap!!!! 

I'm gonna love squadra916 even more !!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Edited by Damgreg

I still have those questions  :D

Filip: If you look on the pics you can see that not only will you get answer to your questions, but you will also see that he is using a upper strut brace from a 145.. :)

Filip: If you look on the pics you can see that not only will you get answer to your questions, but you will also see that he is using a upper strut brace from a 145.. :)

And the answer is....................................drum roll .............................................155. :bounce:

Am I right? :D ..........................................What do I win? :happy0045:

You don't say?  :o  :fear:  :icon_eek:

And the answer is....................................drum roll .............................................155. :bounce:

Am I right? :D ..........................................What do I win? :happy0045:

You, Sir, are not helping right here  :D

You don't say?  :o  :fear:  :icon_eek:

Thanks Duden  :) And thanks Charlee, for... being so supportive when people are helping out! AHaah  :lol: