Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

AlfaCali

Welcome from Souther California

Well, since Alfa left the country many moons ago I decided to bring Alfa to me.  Given how intelligent or simply a glutton for punishment I am, I procured a beautiful blue 1997 Spider TS a few months ago.  Since I used to own an Alfa - most recently a glorious red 1982 GTV6, which my brother just happened to wrap it around a telephone pole when I was away on business.

Since i am up for the Alfa adventure again, which may include pushing/rolling the car over its radiator hoses on the side of the busiest freeway in Los Angeles to get out the oil and coolant soup that had formed as a result of faulty head gasket - I took the plunge and found a 916 in Canada.

What I look forward to in this forum is learning how to do basics and where to obtain parts for minor modifications – to start only minor such as, some interior work, new stereo etc.  Then tackle some suspension and exhaust mods.  I also want to start prepping for future maintenance and securing parts, and I already have started a list such as cam belt but will be looking for advice on what other parts to stock pile.

Thanks!

post-890-0-37644100-1403277931_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlfaCali

From what I understand there are just over a dozen 916s in North America, they were never sold here new - according to what I have researched.  I 'think' there are two others in Southern California.

This is going to be an interesting adventure.  Already gathering names of parts suppliers.  In many cases the shipping will be more than the part I need...

A real enthusiast  :thumbsup: . Owning of Alfa there probably is big adventure. Welcome to the forum.

But the good thing is that you will be unique  :) . It is interesting to me, how americans look at this car.

Shipping of parts will be expensive, but did you have to pay some additional tax (depending of price or on some other criteria)?

There is topic on the forum with sites for Alfa Romeo parts, you probably have found it.

There were some taxes i had to pay when the car drossed the Canadian border into the US.  The bigger issue was with the State of Calidornia.  I had to have a lot of paperwork from Alfa Romeo as well as sellers.  I then had to get the car smogged and inspected to confirm it was US legal.  Finally, California has high tax rates, so I had to pay taxes on the price of the car.  Each state is different, and almost all states are cheaper than California.

For parts I am looking at buying a few in advance.  Any suggesstions?

Great to see a 916 in the USA! Well done. You should get some teledials(wheels) on it to start with IMO!

wahooo!!!!   :smile25:  :smile25:  :smile25:   It's not easy to believe there is a tiny Alfa in California!!! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

I suppose it is a 2.0 but we don't know the age of the car. In Europe is easy to find parts for this Twin Spark engine... but parts for the bodywork in USA it is going to be a little bit difficult.  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow:

I buy parts in Internet... mainly in webs in Spain, but I buy in british and german webs too:

Use ebay...  you will find a lot of dealers  ;)  ;)  ;)

What are the mileage of the car? maybe you have to think in changing the cambelt...

Well come to the forum!!!

Thanks!  The car is a 1997 TS with only 20k miles, I do not know of any V6s in the US.  I see Sasha recommends some teledials, definately I will take a look at those prices.

I am finding all the engine parts I need on-line without too much of a problem.  The challenge I am going to have is in diagnosing issues.  The engine is a little 'rough', not bad, but not super smooth 'sounding'.  The engine drives fine, and is mechanically in good condition.

The bodywork should last as long as my girlfriend does not take the keys  :o   !!

I will definately bookmark the links.

Wow 20k miles, it is amost new!

Here is a link to topic in the forum about useful link -> link.

There is one TS specific problem that comes to mind - variator. The engine sound like a diesel, you can search for some video.

Another specific for the TS engine (from where comes this name) are the spark plugs. They are 8, two on cylinder - one "big" and one "small".

Good joke about bodywork  :D .

Thanks - yes the issue may be the variator.  As long as I am going to replace the variator I might as well as replace the cam belt.

Thanks - yes the issue may be the variator.  As long as I am going to replace the variator I might as well as replace the cam belt.

Don't forget to replace the water pump too... it is part of cam belt kit. ;)

Thanks!  The car is a 1997 TS with only 20k miles, I do not know of any V6s in the US.  I see Sasha recommends some teledials, definately I will take a look at those prices.

I am finding all the engine parts I need on-line without too much of a problem.  The challenge I am going to have is in diagnosing issues.  The engine is a little 'rough', not bad, but not super smooth 'sounding'.  The engine drives fine, and is mechanically in good condition.

The bodywork should last as long as my girlfriend does not take the keys  :o   !!

I will definately bookmark the links.

Your car is similar than mine (2.0 TS 1996) with an oldy ECU.... for diagnosis I use a program called MultiEcuScan... runs fine, but there are some tricks to connect the car with the PC  :huh:       I made a post in "alfistas" spanish forum about it. What about your spanish knowledge? :D  :D  :D

Thanks,

I was looking at what else I should get done if i have to replace the variator.  There is a lot I can do.  But with 20k miles, the car 'should' not need too much done.

The MultiEcuScan is a great idea.  Hopefully reduce how much guessing I have to do.  Link?

I have attached the link in last message!!!  :D  :D  :D

If car only have 20k miles... I think probably most parts are still new... :huh:

In my opinion, you only need to replace "maintenance parts". This is: cambelt,  fluids and filters... B)

Cambelt in this engine have to be replaced every 60k miles... but in your car, probably you have a 18 years old belt. :(   Relacing the cam belt you will need especial blockers in camshafts and a new joint for the pistonhead cover.

Phase variator probably is OK... try making a pair of oil changes (one with only 50 miles to clean engine inside...) and second with a good quality SAE 10W40 syntetic oil. Don't forget replace filter each time. 

Of course you have to use 95 octane fuel.... and can improve the sound changing exhaust line...

Replace coolant and brake hydraulic fluid... and enjoy the car :)  :)  :)  The best is between 4000 and 6500 rpm... but don't forget to replace the cam belt before going over 5000... :happy0045:

Edited by eduVALENCIA

Speechless indeed! Welcome, great story!

I am curious though how does the car meet the US regulations, I know all of your cars have "positioning"(?!) lights (the orange front side lights), the Spider clearly doesn't.

Anyway, change your cambelt (and the other two belts, unfortunatelly i don't know their names in english) asap and try not to run the car until you do that. They tend to snap if they are old and they do alot of damage to the engine!

Sent from my Alfa Romeo

Thanks for the advice!  I have ordered boxe's' of parts, including all belts and tools, filters etc etc.  The CAM belt was changed a couple of years ago, so that is is good shape.  Given the car only has 20,000k miles I suspect that some parts were maintained differently than others, so by 'miles' I am sure everything is fine, but by 'years' it is more of an inexact science.  Thus me ordering dozens of parts.  Oh and a new stereo, I know the wind in the hair and alfa exhaust should be plenty, but in traffic it helps to actually hear clearly what was coming out of speakers.

I looked about the position lights laws and I might be wrong, but I dont think it was mandatory in 1997 when the car was made.

The car passed US regulations, I had to produce a significant amount of paperwork.  Alfa Romeo had to send a letter validating that the car passed all safety and emmission laws and then of course the California DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) had to inspect and have proof that it passed a smog test.  Also California was very happy to take a nice size check to get it registered, I should have claimed to be aresident of Las Vegas and pay a fraction of the costs...