Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
alfaman51

Return of the Cup

53 posts in this topic

During the summer ( remember that?) I saw an eBay ad for a Cup (no 107) at sensible money. It was at the other end of the country and there was no hope of getting to see it before bidding. Usually I wouldn't dream of risking money on a cat I had not even seen, but with only 44 k miles recorded and a full history it was too tempting to miss. So I bid on the car and I won the auction. 

I could not collect the car for several weeks so by the time I took the train down to Cornwall to get it the sense of anticipation was acute. 

Was I disappointed? No, it is a nice straight well maintained car. It needed paint, but I was expecting that, and it needs cosmetic tidying but it has been well looked after and will , with a little TLC, be a delight to drive and own.

A few weeks ago my existing GTV suffered an electrical fire. It's a total write off but I can salvage wheels, tyres, stainless exhaust, new clutch and flywheel , differential, dampers, audio , radiator etc etc and over the winter I shall use all the best bits to ensure that the Cup is immaculate.

The photos are of the Cup on it's return from the body shop. New paint and refurbished wheels. Now that's just the start....

cupphotos.zip

Beautiful car and the best possible replacement for your GTV. It's just looks so good with shiny new paint. Congratulations!  :thumbsup:

P.S. I want one.  :P

Looks amazing. The Cup is the ultimate GTV.

I recently bought Cup 131 early November 2013. It needs painting also but once the paint is refreshed don't they look great? .

My new purchase is tucked away in a garage atm, roll on spring for work to be carried out

I recently bought Cup 131 early November 2013. It needs painting also but once the paint is refreshed don't they look great? .

My new purchase is tucked away in a garage atm, roll on spring for work to be carried out

That makes quite a few cups here on the forum.

Great purchase Andy. I believe Cup GTV's will reach classic status for sure.

I am hooked on convertible driving, so I would never consider a GTV.

That makes quite a few cups here on the forum.

Great purchase Andy. I believe Cup GTV's will reach classic status for sure.

I am hooked on convertible driving, so I would never consider a GTV.

I always wanted a V6 !! I love my 2.0L TS Spider it is my first Alfa, 6 years in and still love roof down motoring, I will never sell it. The Cup came up for sale locally with low mileage and full service history, at a reasonable price too, I had to have it.

post-447-0-44865100-1385931021_thumb.jpg

There is a 2.0 TS Cup for sale in Belgium. 7500 Euro's. 

2e5r3m0.jpg

Not exactly a bargain  :P

Not exactly in original form either.

The spoiler is in dark grey, I understand this. Makes it easier to wipe off the coffee stains. I miss a table on the back of my spider.

I am still trying to get settlement from my insurers. Grrrrr! I want to get started on the Cup. The plan is to take it off the road and replace the flexible brake lines with steel braided hoses, use the 330mm brake calipers and discs from the old car (they had only done about 2-300 miles). Should I get the discs cross drilled?

I will use the rear dampers and radiator from the GTV as they were all pretty new. 

Then I have the stainless exhaust system from Alfaholics to fit plus the decat pipe. Now the GTV had a CF2 V6.. the Cup has a CF3 series engine.

Will the decat pipe from the GTV fit the Cup?  Does anyone know the answer ? I may have to find out the hard way..

I then have the Q2 differential to swap over and the flywheel and clutch to put in ( the clutch in the Cup is past it's best)... I hope that by Spring 2014 that the Cup will be finished and ready to use. 

There are lots of little details and cosmetics to sort out and I will clean and paint the suspension components as I strip things down.....

photos will follow as things progress.

Thanks for your encouragement. 

And yes, I like the Skoda too ( we have a new Octavia and a New Fabia Monte Carlo should arrive next month) but they are just great transport. An Alfa is so much more than that...

Once you 've completed your plans the Cup would look a million dollar babe!!! ;)

Keep updating your progress :thumbsup:

I am still trying to get settlement from my insurers. Grrrrr! I want to get started on the Cup. The plan is to take it off the road and replace the flexible brake lines with steel braided hoses, use the 330mm brake calipers and discs from the old car (they had only done about 2-300 miles). Should I get the discs cross drilled?

I will use the rear dampers and radiator from the GTV as they were all pretty new. 

Then I have the stainless exhaust system from Alfaholics to fit plus the decat pipe. Now the GTV had a CF2 V6.. the Cup has a CF3 series engine.

Will the decat pipe from the GTV fit the Cup?  Does anyone know the answer ? I may have to find out the hard way..

I then have the Q2 differential to swap over and the flywheel and clutch to put in ( the clutch in the Cup is past it's best)... I hope that by Spring 2014 that the Cup will be finished and ready to use. 

There are lots of little details and cosmetics to sort out and I will clean and paint the suspension components as I strip things down.....

photos will follow as things progress.

Thanks for your encouragement. 

And yes, I like the Skoda too ( we have a new Octavia and a New Fabia Monte Carlo should arrive next month) but they are just great transport. An Alfa is so much more than that...

Amazing project. I will subscribe to this topic to keep up to date.

I am not sure if the GTV decat fits the Cup, I am not sure if many people will know this.

Please keep is updated with as many pictures as you can ;-)

There is a 2.0 TS Cup for sale in Belgium. 7500 Euro's. 

2e5r3m0.jpg

Not exactly a bargain  :P

It's a shame we never got the 2.0 cup in the UK, and they never made a spider version !

Hence why I made my own :-)))

The transplant work has started. I have recycled the central locking  offside solenoid and the offside door card from the GTV into the Cup. Next come the brakes- I am looking for  a source of a pair of good quality cross drilled 330mm discs ( 147GTA type) for the front. Any suggestions?

Clutch , flywheel and differential should be done the first week of January....

The project is under way.

:clap: Sounds like a killer project. Keep us updated.

The transplant work has started. I have recycled the central locking  offside solenoid and the offside door card from the GTV into the Cup. Next come the brakes- I am looking for  a source of a pair of good quality cross drilled 330mm discs ( 147GTA type) for the front. Any suggestions?

Clutch , flywheel and differential should be done the first week of January....

The project is under way.

You can't go wrong with an established brand like Brembo, but I'm tempted to try MTec. They're on eBay and their prices are so attractive that you get suspicious. 

A pair of drilled/grooved 330x32 front discs for the 147 GTA for £125 including shipping (to Sweden, so it may be different for your location).

Worth a try?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/147-GTA-3-2-V6-24v-11-03-Front-Drilled-Brake-Discs-/110418421320?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AAlfa+Romeo%7CModel%3A147&hash=item19b5736648#shpCntId