Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Nico

VW in big troubles

Isn't it looking bad for VW? I mean, really really bad?

Summing it up:

- half a million of cars to recall and modify in the US, and a fine of potentially USD 18 billions

- 11 million cars in the world in potential need of recall

- potential fines from other countries than the US?

- stock price down by nearly 40% in only 2 days

- reputation tarnished for long years

BTW, anyone knows how the software operates to detect emission tests?  :ph34r:

Edit: All I found is this diagram:

1af1997f-fbb4-4452-8711-3a4f3fc0c1e1.png

Edited by Nico

BTW, anyone knows how the software operates to detect emission tests?  :ph34r:

The only thing I can think of is that ECM registering an engine that are revving but the car does not move.

Isn't it looking bad for VW? I mean, really really bad?

Summing it up:

- half a million of cars to recall and modify in the US, and a fine of potentially USD 18 billions

- 11 million cars in the world in potential need of recall

- potential fines from other countries than the US?

- stock price down by nearly 40% in only 2 days

- reputation tarnished for long years

Wonder if they are still interested in buying Alfa Romeo with a cash flow like that out of their business. :mellow:

But don't you think all car manufacturers cheat on some level because current emissions standards are almost impossible to comply with :) 

But don't you think all car manufacturers cheat on some level because current emissions standards are almost impossible to comply with :)

You are probably right, but Alfa is at least not afraid to show what is farting out of the tailpipe. :)

This video would have been even funnier if the jack had failed  :ph34r:  ;)

Morbid? :D

The interesting part is yet coming - because if they modify software on existing cars to meet the standard, they must loose some power. So, if someone bought a cars with, let's say, 150 hp, after that recall and upgrade they'll probably have just 135 hp. So, this is a fraud on that level and buyers can sue VW for false specifications of cars, and so on...

Well, there are other issues as well.

One is that VW benefited in various countries from subsidies for 'clean cars' - and/or cuts on taxes for 'low emissions'. All those countries will probably want to get that money back.

Another strange thing is that VW claims now that 'less than 10 people' were aware of this part of the code. Who's going to believe that? I can't imagine how that's possible. In 6 years between 2009 an 2015, there's been quite a few programmers and managers who must have noticed something...

Edited by Nico

Another strange thing is that VW claims now that 'less than 10 people' were aware of this part of the code. Who's going to believe that? I can't imagine how that's possible. In 6 years between 2009 an 2015, there's been quite a few programmers and managers who must have noticed something...

I agree. No engineer or ordinary manager would be allowed to pass this stuff. So department directors are definitely involved in this :)

Edited by moskovsky

The interesting part is yet coming - because if they modify software on existing cars to meet the standard, they must loose some power. So, if someone bought a cars with, let's say, 150 hp, after that recall and upgrade they'll probably have just 135 hp. So, this is a fraud on that level and buyers can sue VW for false specifications of cars, and so on...

They might get away with that because there's a clause regarding specifications which states that power may vary due to location, weather conditions, altitude and so on. Besides there's a thing called engine wear. So I reckon they might hold on to that if anybody sues them for misrepresentation :) 

Edited by moskovsky