Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Baron von Headloq

New kid from Germany via SA ... GTV TB

Hello all,

A much-needed return to having a Busso in my life once more!   I've just purchased:happy0045:the ex-Westenwind (Dutch TV series) Vela Blu GTV TB. My past includes an '82 South African limited edition GTV6 (116 series, naturally) and top of my personal pile,  an '85 SA homologation special GTV6 3.0 (boy do I regret parting with this one!). 

Anyhoo ... it was time to re-Busso! 

There's a bit of a pattern here ... all 12V Bussos ... a 2.5, a 3.0, and now a 2.0. Thinks this is incurable!

Some amazing-looking GTVs - congrats to all :D

Later / Grüß / Totsiens

Paul

15-4-2020-1.jpeg

fit82 of 110 and standard (both 1982).jpeg

fitNC2387 GTV6 3 litre Homologation 64 of 212.jpeg

Ciao Paolo, complimenti per le Alfetta Gtv! 

Hai avuto anche l'Alfetta Gtv 3.0 v6? Era una vera rarità, assemblata dalla filiale Alfa Romeo del Sud Africa con il motore modificato direttamente dall'Autodelta in Italia e portato da 2.500 c.c. a 2.934 c.c. Aveva 186 CV e invece dell'iniezione elettronica del modello 2.5 aveva 6 carburatori! Che spettacolo! 

Ma ce l'hai ancora? 

Hi Paolo, congratulations for the Alfetta Gtv! Have you also had the Alfetta Gtv 3.0 v6? It was a real rarity, assembled by the Alfa Romeo branch of South Africa with the engine installed by Autodelta in Italy and brought from 2,500 cc to 2,934 cc. It had 186 hp and instead from the electronic injection of the 2.5 model it had 6 carburettors! What a show! But do you still have it?

Hi Luigi!

My apologies for being so slow to reply - I have been under a GTV :-)

Yes, the GTV6 you see in my avatar image was the South African 3.0 Homologation car which I owned. Sadly circumstances when I relocated from SA to Germany meant she did not come with me. I am both sad and regretful about this!

I used to carry a 10mm spanner in the driver's door pocket for the inevitable smell of fuel from one of the fuel unions on the Dellortos. But she was pure emotion on wheels. I loved that GTV. Mine had some slightly longer duration cams sourced from Dawie de Villiers in Pretoria, and as far as the dyno told us, was somewhere around 210 hp at the coast. Other than that, completely standard. And those 3 piece Compomotive split rims ... I'll be in tears next ...

I bought the GTV with 48.000km, and it left me with still only 72.000km on the clock ...

Paul

On 5/25/2020 at 20:30, Luigired said:

Ciao Paolo, complimenti per le Alfetta Gtv! 

Hai avuto anche l'Alfetta Gtv 3.0 v6? Era una vera rarità, assemblata dalla filiale Alfa Romeo del Sud Africa con il motore modificato direttamente dall'Autodelta in Italia e portato da 2.500 c.c. a 2.934 c.c. Aveva 186 CV e invece dell'iniezione elettronica del modello 2.5 aveva 6 carburatori! Che spettacolo! 

Ma ce l'hai ancora? 

I meant to reply to your first posting (I can read a little Italian if not speak it). Sorry!

Hi Paolo, congratulations again, you have a great experience with Busso engines! You are a great alfista! I'm glad you understand Italian. For simplicity I am writing to you in English. Of all the Busso engines you have tried, which one excites you most?

6 hours ago, Luigired said:

Hi Paolo, congratulations again, you have a great experience with Busso engines! You are a great alfista! I'm glad you understand Italian. For simplicity I am writing to you in English. Of all the Busso engines you have tried, which one excites you most?

Easy answer: The 3 litre 12V 'special' that was in my 116-series Homologation car :D

ALL of the Bussos excite me, but the 3 litre 12V on Dellortos ... ahhh ... that was truly special. There are more powerful variants, smoother ones, more economical ones ... but none like that engine (for me).

Edited by Baron von Headloq

Do you think the 3.0 V6 12v mounted on the spider 916 approaches the performance and efficiency of the Alfetta 3.0 Gtv of the eighties? Of course the 916 has the injection while the Alfetta Gtv 3.0 had the carburetors... 

Weeeell ... the 916 is heavier than my old '85 3 litre ... but the injected production 3 litre 12V has a little more power (quoted) - 192 bhp I think. Efficiency must be better :D - fuel injection and mapped ignition is great! My 3 litre sounded more visceral and raw (induction noise with the Dellortos helped I guess!). But the 916 with the production 3 litre 12V also sounds awesome (and with a Raggazoni system ... mmm... nice!).

Subjectively, I find the carburetted homogolation 3 litre engine a little more responsive. But that is so subjective, and a lot depends on how things are set up. 

My gut says the 116 3 litre was a bit quicker ... BUT ... as said, it was lighter with nearly the same power as the 916 3 litre 12V, and with short gearing for track purposes.  Of course being Rosso in colour, it was naturally automatically 10% faster too :thumbsup:

The only thing I did not like with my 116 3 litre was the 2nd gear sensitivity with the transaxle gearbox. But that engine was so responsive, with buckets of low-end torque, that it hardly really mattered.

Thanks, your impressions are very interesting. I agree with you: the only drawback of the Alfette with the transaxle scheme (the gearbox combined with the rear differential) was to go down from third gear to second. I remember when at twenty I took my father's Alfetta 2.0 I scratched myself many times! But in reality the third gear was so elastic and powerful that it was not necessary to go down into the second ...😜

20 hours ago, Luigired said:

But in reality the third gear was so elastic and powerful that it was not necessary to go down into the second ...😜

... even more so with shorter final drive (4.11) on the 116 3 litre, and Dellortos always ready to pour buckets of fuel into the inlets :D.  Damn! I loved that car ...