Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Filip

Filip's GTV TS Clubsport project

510 posts in this topic

Thanks!

Just to be sure, I sent my VIN to BM, who were extremely easy to deal with and quicker than most, and they confirmed it.

Thumbs up for BM :)

I got confirmation that it had been shipped off just 30 minutes after placing the order (buyspares2 on eBay). Almost too good to be true. :D

The front pipe from BM arrived today and it was quite a disappointment.  :angry:

Unfortunately, I forgot to shoot some photos of it before fitting it.

Cons:

1. The Y-pipe is shitty, for lack of better words. The pipes have been squished and deformed to fit into a normal sized 2" pipe. It looks bad and I don't even wanna know how obstructive it is for the gas flow.
  2. The diameter is 2" instead of 2.5" like the original product. 
  3. The above means that the clamp that bolts to a rubber mount beside the gearbox did not fit anymore. 

DSC_2204.jpg

Pros: 

1. It's cheap. I payed £77 incl shipping. Walker's got one too, but that costs 4 times more. 
  2. It's lighter than the original. Feels like at least 1 kg but I didn't measure.

DSC_2205.jpg

The bolts obviously broke off but we managed to drill and make a new thread without issues. Fitted with a new gasket...

Cleaned this:

DSC_2188.jpg

Beneath the oil and dirt, there was a layer of very bright, very fine sand. Probably from France where the car came from  :thumbsup:

DSC_2206.jpg

I will probably paint the part before the silencer black so that you don't see as much of it from behind the car.

DSC_2207.jpg

My friend said "Aluminium is my thing, not this. Guess it won't fall apart, tho." Looks good to me :)  

Edited by Filip

Think positive, it is not always that a smaller piping diameter is bad (as long as back pressure is right), increasing the diameter of the piping will also decrease the velocity of the gases so that the flow/scavenging would be affected and power may be lost,  may be you will experience quicker throttle response and more torque throughout the low-to-mid range portion of the power band with the tighter pipes and hopefully the hi end of the power band is unaffected.

This is N/A not turbo exhaust.

:)

Think positive, it is not always that a smaller piping diameter is bad (as long as back pressure is right), increasing the diameter of the piping will also decrease the velocity of the gases so that the flow/scavenging would be affected and power may be lost,  may be you will experience quicker throttle response and more torque throughout the low-to-mid range portion of the power band with the tighter pipes and hopefully the hi end of the power band is unaffected.

This is N/A not turbo exhaust.

I agree - a 150 hp 2.0L engine shouldn't need more than 2". I doubt that BM improved on Alfa's original design tho, especially since the Y-pipe was such a crappy product. 

Hard to tell whether there's more power because it's leaking in a few places. I guess it doesn't hurt because the old front pipe had leaks BEFORE the lambda so this one should make the engine happier. 

:hello: The Y thing is mostly junk....ask my wife, according to her  I am an idiot with too many Y's floating around :huh: .....damn, I must pull myself together..floating out again in a confused manner :blush: ...sorry..but my exhaust is in order :happy0045:.

:hello: The Y thing is mostly junk....ask my wife, according to her  I am an idiot with too many Y's floating around :huh: .....damn, I must pull myself together..floating out again in a confused manner :blush: ...sorry..but my exhaust is in order :happy0045:.

The Y thing seems to come to mind often with you...Could it be your wife has a point?...   :ph34r:  :lol:

Is it a good thing or a bad thing that I will end up having exhaust parts from Volvo, SAAB, Opel and Renault on my GTV? 

Tomorrow, I'm gonna check out a Volvo 240 for my retro winter ride... Thumbs up from the Alfa community or what?!!  :happy0045:

Edited by Filip

Volvo safe and boring.
SAAB bankrupt.
Opel rusting away.
Renault everything falls apart things you never thought could go broke.

It had to be good, don't you think? :D

:hiya: Thumbs down, had at one time a Volvo 245....it was a dark period in my life, really nothing I want to remember....
the only experience with the Volvo worth remembering was when the engine had to run air cooled for 15 Km.

Volvo safe and boring.

SAAB bankrupt.

Opel rusting away.

Renault everything falls apart things you never thought could go broke.

It had to be good, don't you think? :D

:hiya: Thumbs down, had at one time a Volvo 245....it was a dark period in my life, really nothing I want to remember....

the only experience with the Volvo worth remembering was when the engine had to run air cooled for 15 Km.

Sounds all good to me! :P

Yea, some oil and these engines will run for a long, long time.

Photo of my latest "great idea" coming up :lol:

It's not pretty, but I'm looking forward to a lot of sideways action when it starts snowing  :ph34r:

DSC_2211.jpg

And it makes my rat-race GTV look really nice, great!  :thumbsup:

Volvo ('jag rullar' / 'I roll')  drool.gif..........you need a new fart pipe on your car. :banana:

post-17-0-72799900-1411337781_thumb.jpg

:beer:

I'm sick of exhaust problems  :bash:  ....

A set of winter tires for my Volvo is what I need!  :lol:

:hello: Not legal to use on the road. :(

Still nice!

I'm looking for a set of studded tires on alloy wheels, preferrably from the 242 GT or 244 Turbo...  :ph34r:

Long time, no posts...

Can you guys tell if something is missing (apart from the filter, duuh :D ) on this OE filter box?

I drove in heavy rain a couple weeks ago and the engine started running bad/rough injection light flashing randomly, coughing and misfiring. It seems fine now tho, so I think it was caused by a drenched air filter. Maybe you recall that my car has an aftermarket cone filter that was just standing on the bracket with a sponge in between to keep it from rattling. Evidently my ghetto filter mounts mean that it's sitting too close to the ground when it's raining.

Solution: old filter box gets a second chance.

Can you recommend a drop in upgrade filter or would you go with the standard type? :)

post-372-141434209801_thumb.jpg

OEM is equal than other style of performance (not really) air filters... If you keep the oem air box, put an oem air filter.

You can get a BMC air filter with a flexible hose, it's a good idea!

To me there is nothing missing in your picture. The cone we see deep in the box is at its place, the filter comes above...

Thanks guys!

I experienced the combination of heavy rain and an aftermarket filter... Will go OR just because I don't want any issues in rain.

OEM is equal than other style of performance (not really) air filters... If you keep the oem air box, put an oem air filter.

You can get a BMC air filter with a flexible hose, it's a good idea!

To me there is nothing missing in your picture. The cone we see deep in the box is at its place, the filter comes above...

Just what I wanted to say, really. Keep the priginal filter in there, works best. I would only trust proper airbox systems.

Just what I wanted to say, really. Keep the priginal filter in there, works best. I would only trust proper airbox systems.

It bothers me that I won't get much of that meaty intake sound... And the stupid box and the bracket weigh a ton, but... It works, even in rain ;)

New to-do list!

The remains of the old list can be crossed out as the exhaust is all new (just missing a fat ass clamp that should solve a small leak), the power windows have been fixed and they are watertight again, happy times...

- Mount "new" headliner

- Rip out carpet etc

- Mount "new" wiper linkage

- Remove rear suspension arms, have them sandblasted and painted black, then fitted with Powerflex Black bushes and refitted...

- New shocks and springs, haven't decided on what kind to get yet... Won't happen until Spring anyway.

- Demister mod might happen..

- Variator swap might happen...

I know what you mean regarding the sound. Just get a CDA then.

Yes, except they retail at £200+... Powerflex Black money :/