Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
AliP82

Greetings from Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi all

Alasdair from Johannesburg, South Africa here. I'm the owner of this 2003 3.0 V6 24v Spider in Lightning Blu with a Lys Grey leather interior. It's the Elegant Limited Edition with the extended leather pack (leather in the bottom door pockets and above the rear cubby) and 17 inch teledial wheels. 

I originally bought the car when it was 3 years old in 2006. I then traded it in on a 2009 147 16v JTDm in 2012. I was very sad to see it go and in 2014 bought it back from the owner. I subsequently spent the next 5+ years collecting parts and trim pieces to make the car pristine. I regularly trawl ebay and buy old stock parts when they come up on forums and via contacts.

My aim for the car for the next year or so is to have it fitted with a Q2 differential, SMF flywheel and GTA clutch and refresh the suspension including Koni shocks.

I've been a long time Alfa and Fiat owner and have had among others:

1971 105-series 1750 GTV with Momo Vega wheels

1969 rountail 1750 Spider

2003 Spider 24v 3.0 V6 (the one I currently own)

2009 147 Jtdm 16v 5-door (Argento silver with tan leather...beautiful car!)

2004 Phase 3 Spider 2.0 TwinSpark (white, black roof with red leather)

2015 Fiat 500S 1.4 100HP

2012 Fiat 500 1.2 Pop (significant others current car)

2017 Fiat Panda Twinair Lounge (current daily driver)

2019 Vespa Elettrica (I like anything Italian with wheels:D)

spider 1.jpg

spider 2.jpg

Edited by AliP82

Môre Meneer / Saluti,

I approve of the blue, and the Teledials (and definitely of the Busso motivation).  I'm ex Durban and Pretoria and my recently acquired is a '99 Vela Blu GTV TB.  My '85 116 3 litre (yup, one of those - see my avatar photo) and my '82 116 2.5 I miss terribly. In dire need of a 105 series ... but one thing at a time!

How's the servicing scene for you these days? Fewer and fewer Alfa shops I hear ...

Cheers vir eers,

Paul

ps - reg on the GTV has changed (still showing Dutch plates the day before it was shipped to me in DE).

15-4-2020-1.jpeg

Edited by Baron von Headloq

Thank you sir :) I think dark blue suits the 916 very well although I am a bit biased! Service isn't really a problem in Johannesburg. I use Alfia Auto in Wynberg which is run by the ex workshop manager of Arnold Chatz and his brother in law. I can most some spares from the Sandton dealer but some trim parts I have to get from www.alfa-restoration.co.uk/shop/ and www.totallyalfa.com

Unfortunately Arnold Chatz Craighall lost their franchise recently which is a real pity because they where THE Alfa/Fiat dealer in JHB for decades. I've heard servicing outside of JHB, Pretoria and Cape Town is difficult though.

Yup - a GT 3.2 (and previously 156 and 116, Alfetta and more) owning friend of mine moved from Pretoria to Hartenbos a few months back, and was lamenting the loss of Arnold Chatz.  Of course Hartenbos is worse yet for service :ph34r: options.  Didn't know about Auto Alfa in Wynberg.

Currently going through cobalt HSS drillbits to drill out a welded-up flange hole on my TB.  Some :angry: mampara got lazy and instead of using a bolt and nut to clamp the feed from the rear bank to the Y-piece on the turbo exhaust inlet ... he sommer welded a piece of plate on that side, while using a bolt and nut on the other side. For the love of mercy ... anyway, stainless allen-head bolts are waiting for once I have cleaned this up. Urgh.

Debating what to do with my Teledials ... I fancy the Cup-style 'black chrome' effect.  They are fine but for a little kerb rash, but do need a refurb to dazzle!

Anyway, cheers for now.

Paul

Alip 82 complimenti la macchina è molto bella. Ho letto che hai avuto anche uno Spider 1750 del 1969: uno spettacolo che oggi vale tantissimo! 

Alip 82 congratulations the machine is very beautiful. I read that you also had a 1969 Spider 1750: a show that is worth a lot today!

Too lazy to find the correct place fo' this warble from me:

All I did today was remove a Remus s/steel centre (and only!!) silencer, and it's good friend the Zender quads (sans silencer) from my TB. Replaced that all with an IMASAF TB setup (straight through silencer innamiddle, and a smaller straight through to the now-single tailpipe. Considerably quieter and I actually hear the Busso song better. Like it greatly!

So now I'll sell the Remus, the Zender bit, and perhaps the pipe section from the catalyst to the Remus.  Must take photos!