Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

blackbini

Alfa GTV CARBONara

222 posts in this topic

Hi all, sorry for being so rare. In middle of september I finally got it back after paying a ton of money to my garage.

I drove it alot since then :)

At the moment the beast is allready back in its cave, getting ready for the next mods :)

I was on the scale a few weeks ago. It weights more than thought :S its still 1170kg

That means I have a lot of work over winter.

some of the next mods will be KSport Uniball Bearing

Alloy fuel tank and cut out all the metall between the seats and the rear Bumper :)

Building a lot of carbon fiber parts, maybe also the floor :)

Moulding new lighter headlights

Finally mount the PU Bushings kit

Install a litium 500g battery under the dash and cut as much of the + cable as possible :)

Cut the big and haevy exhaust tips

Now I have a hydrauilic ramp, so I can finally also save weight on the bottom end of the car :)

Goal for next year is alt least 1100kg, but more likely <1000kg :)

If anyone has a good idea to save alot weight, let me Know :)

I was at all carmeetings last month to promot my carbon parts :) And I have done a photoshoot at night ( pictures will follow when I get them)

Btw. the weight difference makes such a big difference to drive it, with my 295 Michelin Pilot Sports Cup 2 I can throw it through corners as it would be straight :)

IMG_20181009_145005_293.jpg

20181006_092457.jpg

20181008_194940.jpg

IMG_20181003_231540_538.jpg

You would save almost 10kg by replicating your existing front wheels/tires setup to the rear. Then probably an extra 2kg if you would loose the spacers/pcd adapters. Long story-short, a more appropriate wheels/tires setup.

Then brakes: the standard 4 pot Brembos with 330mm discs are pretty heavy, some motorsport calipers / floating discs could help both saving weight and adding more stop power.

Not to mention that such upgrades will not only save weight, but also reduce the unsprung mass.

Theese are OZ Alleggeritas, ultralight Magnesium wheels (9kg 11x18" (Stock 17" is 11.3kg)) and billet aluminium adapterplates with titanium bolts :) the wider wheels are of course a bit haevier than the tiny ones, but here I don't know the exact weight)

The wheel setup is fix, costed a ton of money to get those on this car for the road :S To be streetlegal with extreme stuff you have to go through long processes here. 

The same problem at the brakes, this tarox disk is the only brake disk with certificate. But I think the Calipers could be changed without problems from MOT. This is a good idea, I will check if I get lighter:)

What I also plan to do, without need to go again to those MOT experts, is Billet aluminium Wishbones and also all other suspension parts from aluminium, the original cast iron is haevy as hell :S

But first of all, yesterday I ordered my aluminium fuel tank with pump and so on :) I will write the weight from all the stuff here :)

My calculations were based on you post from page 3. Although the wheel is lighter, the combo between wheel&tire is actually heavier than stock 17" wheels.

Just out of interest, what's the exact wheel setup front/back? what offset for the wheels and what size for adapter plates?

As for the brakes, here's a quick link showing it's possible: http://www.autodeltashop.com/product_info.php?cPath=30_83&products_id=307

It's for illustration purpose only, I bet you could find less expensive ways. A friend of mine was using something similar on his 56 3.0 V6 trackday car.

20180924_112159-800x600.jpg

front 9x18 0 offset rear 11x18 0 offset the rear wheels have to be wider, its not just saving weight, then of course I wouldnt have strutbars and extinguisher in it. Is about building the ultimate GTV. I prepare it for my powerupgrade :) 

A absolute minimum weight, maximum 1000kg and >500hp is the final goal :) but step for step :)

ahh this break kit is really nice. but as said, if i need to pay at least additional 1000.- to get theese roadlegal. it is to expensive at the moment. but we will see.

I'll have to disagree with you on this, rear wheels don't need to be wider on a FWD car; they don't improve handling but on a contrary, they increase understeer! Plus they are adding unnecessary weight, but you already know that :)

It increases grip on the rear axle, thats why one would think it understeers more, but its acually less oversteering.

But anyway, it seems you didn't read that I am working on a RWD setup? :)

Sorry, no! Or I might have and completely forgotten :) Makes alot of sense then! Good luck!

Edited by ALXege

If I ever come to Zurich, I'd like to take a few shots of your car myself! I really do think it deserves better!

Some news:

Cutted of big exhaust tips :) saved unbeleavable 5kgs including mountings and so on XD that was easy^^'

Also I made some more Carbonfiber parts :) as f.E.

Carbon fiber side covers (with polyamid screws)  this saved over a kilo ^^'

Carbon fiber windshieldwiper covers

20181104_150753.jpg

20181104_150820.jpg

20181104_172627.jpg

Edited by blackbini

And how much weight does it save by just leaving them away? B)

Must check your shop soon then :) Not because of weight saving, but mines are a bit damaged, plus who wouldn't want some CF under the hood :)

15 hours ago, Carlo said:

And how much weight does it save by just leaving them away? B)

was so clear that this will come :) but I don't want the engine to be so dirty. Dirt is weight and dirt damages electronics :S 

Because of the height of the car and the insane wide wheels I allready have a very reduced wheel well

31 minutes ago, ALXege said:

Must check your shop soon then :) Not because of weight saving, but mines are a bit damaged, plus who wouldn't want some CF under the hood :)

I think I will not produce this for the mass.

It would get too expensive to produce a mould and dry and harden the carbon in a temperated vacuum.
I could produce a set for 550CHF, but I allready know Is too much for carbon covers on the international market. On the domestic there are just very few possible customers with a GTV.

But with this knowledge, I am focussing my shop now more on the domestic trackday and tuning scene than on Alfisti as on the beginning.

(My copy I produced ultrathin, I used the original part as mould. With this method its around 0.5-1mm thicker than original, which doesn't really matter to me regarding the lower material costs. But this is more work as I need to grind the surface flat and smooth, so no alternative for mass production using a negative mould.)

Btw. I bought a GTV with a 3l 12v Turbo with insane internal mods incl. forged internals, running allready on insane 1.7Bar boost :) I will now upgrade this engine and throw it in the trunk of my GTV :) (after a ton of other stuff I will do first)

some candy for your eyes :) bolted down of course with polyamid screws (~0.2g insted of 4g)

carbon.jpg

Edited by blackbini

19 hours ago, ALXege said:

How come you didn't switch to a CF plenum yet? :)

I have bought the one from ACT, but for legal reasons I didn't mount it till yet because of the carbonfiber they easily see that its modified^^'
These ACT are to pretty to paint.

I didn't want to show it first because I need do buy more clamps first^^' 

I have made a CarbonCopy :) of the ACT :)

Actually I tried to optimize the actual ACT f.E. by grinding it on the inside as smooth as it gets out of the mould on the outside :)

I also "removed" on mine the trompets, but I've formed the inside like trumpets. (I am actually not shure if the trumpets are just for easyer manufacturing or if the actually bring a benefit in there)
Further I added gold heat reflect tape on the underside :) and my Plenum is actually felt lighter than the throttlebody :)

For a first try it am very happy with the outcome, but at one little spot I grinded to much. when I throw it on for testdrive it gave a hole. I have made a pressure test with my compressor before, but it didn't work so well holding all the holes closed^^' I need to improve that next time.

I will build a new much stronger one the next days for my N/A engine.  For my turbobuild I build an insane bulletprove kevlar one :)

10 hours ago, Paso said:

I love those carbon covers! :) 

Thx

20181104_115302.jpg

Edited by blackbini

sorry for multipost, but impressive news: my carbonplenum is just 200g, saves 3kg to oem one :) (Still raw on the picture, is getting grinded now)

plenum.jpg

Edited by blackbini

Headlight weight reduction.  Original weight 2.3kg lets see whats possible :) I am also moulding new glasses they are 530g should be possible to build with max 100g I think :)

scheinwerfer.jpg

Wow! The headlights look as if they will turn out fantastic

But none of the carbon will be visible once the hood is closed, right? 

You will see the carbon when the hood is closed :) Just the blub with a little chrome and the "xenon'ish" ball will look stock. (I attached a picture)

I need to build the glass different than initially thought. I wanted to mould it with epoxy, but its too viscous, would need a ton of layers and will probably brake while unmoulding it. So next try is to do it with acryl glass. But this is ok, never done this before :)

btw. the carbon part is 50g compared to stock 101g. The glass wil be interesting :D

Btw. my 60l Alloy fueltank arrived on saturday. :) this will be the next step on this GTV, but at the moment I have to much projects startet^^'

I have also bought a GTV from a friend which has a 3l 12v TB engine with forgend pistons and 500hp (unfortunately stock rods :S ). Not running for 3 years. This I will bring back to life and when the engine is as good as told, I will put this in my project :) This also has a Q2 and GTA Gearbox. But I am not shure for now, how I will do it. maybe forged Internals on the 24v would be better, but of course more expensive. I don't know yet, we will see :)

20181126_083719.jpg

Edited by blackbini