Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

blackbini

Alfa GTV CARBONara

222 posts in this topic

Very interesting! So, I guess that once you have a mold it's much faster to do it and you can replicate a certain part? It would be great if you could make a list of all parts that you've done that way and what's the weight difference.

yes exactly a build with an existing mould is a lot faster. But I'm not doing a mould for a part every time , sometimes I just build it on top of the original part. To safe time. This gives also a good result, but of course a bit bigger. But on some points it doesent matter.

:)

With this material I have done this parts: But a mould I have just for the dash. But the das is of course optimized for my needs ( without airbag and some other modifications) 

Radiator cover top and bottom (top was 1Kg , my part around 250g ; the bottom one was 1.5kg and mine 272g)

Fuse holder over the front right wheel. (original was rusty and around 800g , mine 200 (my first part :) )

Dashboard (original 9kg  my part 2.134kg )

next part will be the roof.  this sould originally be between 11-20kg (depends on how much I cut out) 

Btw. I saved 10kg by cutting out the double floor and double center console. And with a optimized harnest bar (instead of two steel struts a alloy one (look at the atachement) I saved again 6kg. Now I'm removing every single cable which is unneeded under the dash  (allready 1kg)

interieur.jpg

Edited by blackbini

the equal lenght pipes are in. They needed a lot of change until they fitted. but unfortunately I have to rebuild a complete new 4 point strut as the one from Ultra Racing doesen't fit anymore.
on the pictures you see how urgently it was to change these pipes

20161121_174510.jpg
20161126_164904.jpg

I always wondered if the ultra racing part would fit with cybox equal length pipes. Obviously not lol.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Again new fun parts arrived. Equal lenght frontpipes from cybox, carbon plenum (allready fitted my F430 tb)  and spark plug cover from ACT. 
More pictures will follow.

20161118_175134.jpg

Very interested to see this going on in the spring and to see that the strut bar still fits. Are you going to change the maf to the same size as the throttle body? Be great to see the outcome.

I will go for a megasquirt ecu, with this I dont need a maf sensor (as they said, it can calculate it or so :) )

very sad that the ultra racing strut not fitted, I would recoment if you want one of these let one build them directly on your car as mine didnt fit without haevily modifying them.

yesterday I tooked out the steelstrut in front an puted in a more strength alu strut (not mounted on the picture) including one kilo of isolation it saves me 6.5kg :D 

and also yesterday I bought new carbon fiber seats. (i had before gfk seats which are around 6 - 6.5 kg. ) the new seats are with its mounts around 3.5kg 

just unbeleavable how light they are im still amazed :D

unnamed.jpg

0 (6).jpg

Edited by blackbini

Excellent work, you really are going the whole hog, brilliant.

Let me see that ally strut bar and act pelumn fitted when it's done. Interested.

Pictures of the alloy strut sould follow this week, I removed it again, because I have to weld the cage together with the camber plates (probably not the correct word, but you will see :) )

As I have to test engine modifications specially, I moved this to the end of the year because I want to get a supercharger as well for this expensive test, so I have to pay just once :D )  ( I have also allready bought a Nitrous Express system for additional Intercooler cooling :) ) this will be fun with the handling and weight upgrade 

I'm not shure, here are also a lot of meeting in my near which I have to go, but I will see short time before the meeting :D

started yesterday with the update. I saw this picture in the internet from the blue one which welded this to the cage. As the front axle of the gtv is a weak point anyway I decided to this also :D 

GTV-strut2.jpg

6e571370-e75b-4582-9995-19486438d003.jpg

Lightweight tuning everywhere :D 

I have now finally found a project name for my Alfa  - CARBONara  noting is more italian than this and translated it also means Carbon altar :)

686fe634-4098-43b4-b25c-5d6fc39ecae9.jpg

Welding the struts is finished and primered. And also the alloy strut (from an other rollcage so very strong btw.) is in place.

Now I can rewire all the stuff. I removed 2kg of wiring under the dash (it still starts ;) ) 

There is alsoa lot of steel near the steering axle maybe I can remove some additional wheight :) 

While removing the covers at the wiper I found isolation under the motor :) juhu easy wheight reduction :)

Here the pictures:

0 (134).jpg

0 (9).jpg

I saved again weight by cutting out the stuff from the drivers door. Now the GTV should be 1199.1 KG :)

I also did the finish on the dashboard, today I start drilling holes everywhere and after this rebuild.

Btw. I added now the startbutton, was even easier then I thought ^^ -> I put the howto in the thread I started from a while.

333.jpg

Interieur nearly finished. Since my last driving I saved another 65kg. :D It was late yesterday, some better pictures will follow soon.

20170217_074342.jpg

20170217_074406.jpg

Very interesting project! Fascinating to see how many kilo's you have saved by removing all unnecessary parts.

Look forward to see some action videos on track :D

Next part is removing 2 cilinders? :P

TS turbo, Lampredi 16vt turbo or TS n/a high compression will save some weight too and should be capable of at least 300 hp.

Edited by Joost1990

No, I had a 2.0Ts a few years ago, nothing for this project. When I just wanted to get a lighter car I had to keep the tiny original wheelsize and no wing and so on, but I want to build the ultimate GTV.

I'm planning to go for a big supercharger installation (which of course will be tried to be done by myself :) ). With this and a few other mods done, I will try to hit the 400ps mark. I think this should be drivable as FWD with my extreme wide new OZ Alleggeritas, a soon comming quaife diff and all the stiffnes mods.

I got also a Nitrous Express kit at home, but the gearbox wont like more than 400ps anyway, so I think I put the nos project to the grave^^' 

With this setup it should be possible to reach the weight goal from 999kg and 400ps and still keep it drivable :)

Backup plan for the future if I accidentally get more than 400ps is to put the engine incl. gearbox to the rear. (I saw the guy from Netherlands which putted 2 engines in and I asked myself, why not just put one strong enginge in the back? like Porsche does it since years :)

But we will see what the future brings. As this car is a keeper I have the next years to build the ultimate beast :) 

Of course buying a Porsche or Ferrari would may be cheaper, but boring:)

Edited by blackbini

Yes it was a very great drive :) I pushed my gtv hard, I had to lift my foot a lot to not crash in the 400ps BMW :)

I'm looking forward to install my OZ Alleggerita rims, with these super light wheels my GTV will be allmost unbeatable :)

On 2017-05-09 at 10:21, blackbini said:

I have built a new fresh air intake. a small filter and maybe also a small fan will follow

20170507_132843.jpg

lüftung.jpg

On the left in your engine bay, have you removed some of the original sheet metal? If so, why?

Never mind! I realized it was for weight reduction... How much weight have you shaved of your GTV?

Edited by daspunner

do you mean this small part where the new strut to the cage goes throug? I removed this to make enough space to cut out to hole in the car with my tools :) 

from initial 1490kg It is now around 1190kg acording to my calculation. (the total weight reduction over the winter by getting rid of double layer metal and cutting out unused stuff like windows lever was 65kg :) )

I the next days my new custom adapter plates for the OZ should arrive, these rims save me around 25kg (Sounds incredible, with the Keskin rims I maybe bought the haeviest wheels on the market^^' but then just the size and the price had mattered)

Some news. Massive weightsaving with a new Odissey Extreme Racing battery. Now just 5.4kg the allready smaller one before was 15kg and the original should be around 25-30 I think.

If you want to drive sporty you have to change this easy and cheap weightsaving. It actually saves you more weight than the rear seats :) 

Hint the price was around 100£ you can get them from f.E. demon-tweeks.co.uk

Important if you change to a smaller battery is not just the load, but also the impulse ampere power! My small battery has around 640A impulse power to start my v6.

And also new is my tablet for laptimer and navi :)

20170616_154554.jpg

20170616_115047.jpg

How is the car to drive? is the handling balanced and can you feel a significant better performance?

In any case you're doing a great job.

Edited by Silverarrow