Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

blackbini

Alfa GTV CARBONara

222 posts in this topic

I will weight it next spring again, until then I want a lot of weight to go :) 

The total weight saving with this windows (also with the rear ones) is a bit more than 20kg :D 

But my calculation still says around 1140kg 

Its getting more and more difficult but I still see a lot uf unneeded weight. But I have also bought a Rotrex supercharger. this weight and also that from the big and haevy intercooler needs to be compensated :S

I've made an interesting find on the weekend. The original mirrors are 1.3Kg :S
I built an carbon adapterplate fitting the GTV for the GT3 mirrors (btw. also the carbon plate is made myself :) ) 

The new mirrors are around 230g

So in total 2.2kg less and of course improved aerodynamics :) 

the good news are now I am able to build strong enough carbon to build my carbon fiber roof, and later kevlar doors :)

20171202_144559.jpg

20171202_144539.jpg

20171202_141615.jpg

20171202_123241.jpg

20171202_123221.jpg

20171202_122222.jpg

Pictures from building the mould for a carbon fiber roof :)

next step getting the mould smooth and strong and after that -> build the carbon fiber roof :D 
I'm curious if it will be stronger than the steel roof, my carbon experiments had shown that it will be. But in any case it will be much lighter 

I've used around 5 mfiberglass and 2.5 kg poliester resin for this.

20171219_151139.jpg

20171219_175152.jpg

This is awesome work!

I wish I had the skills / time to take on projects like this~!!

so then you see this exclusive picture from pressing the carbon fiber roof :) 

At this time the pressing is allready finished and dryed one day. Now I let it dry for an other day before I harden it with UV light

carbon dach.jpg

Edited by blackbini

Corresponding to my calculation the steel roof weights at least 11kg. for the carbon fiber roof i Used 1.2kg epoxy resin and 2.32kg carbon fabric. But it should weight less than this at the end, because I cut off the overlapping parts and also some of the resin will be pressed out the form.  I guess it willl be around 3kg at the end + 100-200g paint, sealant, and rivets. 

I also think It should be harder than the original roof, and it gives me the possibillity to weld the cage from above directly to the chassis which will also increases the stability :) 

But at the moment its a very boring process, because of the low tempratures here its allready hardening for x days now :( 

Its getting crazier every day :) The roof is finished. Now I build a carbon fiber trunk should this wil save at least aditional 10kg (the actual is around 15kg)

After finishing the trunk I will paint them and cut the steel roof ( In same step I will weld the cage to the chassis on top).

A bit later I think I will also do the doors :) but first I have to pass the material test to drive it legally on the road and also because I want to be save of course.

One of the next steps is to build the strut under the roof also with carbon.

Shall I also do the floor carbon? the rear side wall I will probably do next year when I've got done my engine plans :) but my plans are allmost too crazy to write it down^^

In the last months I learned how to chiptune. I also want to remap it very aggressivly this spring :)

So long story short heres an new picture from the process :) btw. please if you see any weight tell me, its really difficult now :)

on the picture I'm producing the negative of my allready modified trunk. 

kofferraum.jpg

So Trunk and roof finished, the trunk is allready mounted. Its 5kg as predicted. :) It's so light I needed to remove the lifters to close it^^' Later I will install some hood pins or how they're called, because I of course removed the lock. ( the trunk is of course now ruff and dusty, I will finish it when I repaint the car ) (I will paint the carbon like on the F40, not "view carbon" a glossy finish, rather a such thin paint that you see the carbon fiber structure :) )

Now I'm looking forward to get positive feedback of the material test, when I recieve this I will start to build carbon fiber doors :D and a new carbon fiber dashboard. I'm shure I can buld now a dash around 800g (instead of my actual 2.2kg; Original was 9kg)

Btw. some crazy news. I bought an Alfa 166. This summer I will try to twinturbo this. And the master plan is to put this engine and Frontaxle in the trunk of my gtv (and of course remove the front engine) 

This will be a totally crazy build^^' If here are any sponsors please tell me :) 

trunk.jpg

Edited by blackbini

Huh! :) I think this will be one hell of a machine just with the weight reduction, maybe it's a time to enjoy it a bit when you finish this series of upgrades? Do you remember GTV Bimotore from Netherland? It's crazy, but maybe an unpractical overkill and very heavy.

Yes thats why I will drive it in summer and build it in winter, I want to enjoy and test the new mods :) This is why I bought the 166 to build that engine :) 

the engine in my gtv I will remap with a very aggressive map and 8000rpm :)  and of course I will programm a IMMO OFF to save the weight of the immo box :)

Yes I know the bimotore, this is why I know that the engine fits :) and also this is the reason for my 166. They also built this with a subframe from a 166 :) 

but of course I can't let both engines in there after my weightsavings. and 2 fully built engines would be a bit expensive ^^ 

So good!!

I'd be interested in parts prices if you plan to make some (plus shipping to australia :o)

At the moment my parts are not shiny enough to sell. To produce view carbon with the 3d finish it needs a lot of work and also 20°C more temprature then now at 0°C  :S

But I will just paint it with a very thin layer, so you can see its carbon fiber, but not that haevy finish coat :)

Btw. at saturday I started with my doors.

now 17Kg (allready haevily lightend, original will be at least 30kg )

Target is below 10

carbon türen.jpg

What do you think, how much we can shave off the door without compromising safety for standard road use? 

good that you ask :) the outer Panel is 10kg+isolating mat, mine is 2kg. I will produce them in serie with 3kg. They will be available in my shop later. (My shop is in work, will include some carbon 916 stuff, shipping worldwide :) )

If you don't want to give up electronic windows and don't have a cage in it (then you shouldnt remove the strut inside the door) you could save around 10kg

this would make 20kg complete. But there are a lot cheaper ways to save weight. 

My Door is now 6kg :) I saved another 22kg at the doors. 

Now I will finish all stuff up, paint it and get it ready for road :D Of course I will post some pictures here during this process, or its also almost live available on inst*gram (sorry for advertising :S ) .

türe.jpg

combined with the new roof I'm now slightly under 1100kg it should be at 1098kg :)

I've cutted out the original 6kg roof, welded the cage to the cassis and then clued the 2kg carbon roof in with a epoxy glue and fixated it with rivets. I saved 4Kg at the highest point of the car and increased the stiffnes very much. Thats a huge success. :)

One of the next steps will be to replace the top strut under the roof also with one of carbon fiber of course :D this should be maybe an other kg or 2 :) also on a very high point :)

20180317_123555.jpg

20180317_170311.jpg

I am greeting. How much factory door did they weigh?

I open them with the normal lock ;) just not mounted yet :) 

The original factory weight I can't say, but with window lifter and all this stuff it weighted a ton :) should be at least 35kg each I think.

at the moment I'm preparing it for painting :) but at the same time I'm moving to a biger shop. Where I then can build all those Carbon fiber parts for the mass :)

As you have seen on the pictures before there was a steelstrut under the roof. (which of couse was not very stabile) I built this also with carbon fiber :) 

Steel 600g 

Carbon 200g 

^^ not that its necessary or relevant, but because I can^^

Its now much stronger than the steel one :D safety first :)

Btw. just to be sure, do you also think I should redo the martini racing design ? (but this time its getting a bit more brutal :)

strut.jpg