Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

blackbini

Alfa GTV CARBONara

222 posts in this topic

its absolute brilliant to drive.

You can feel the a big difference to the original very well. 310kg less on very wide tires makes a lot of grip in corners.

Specially while cornering and braking you feel also the stiffnes of the chassis. (Roll cage is also welded to the dom)

In the seats with this harnesses you feel almost nothing, no hard corners, no braking, but also less accelerating (because it has no padding ^^' ) 

But what I also feel is the weight of the keskin Rims which are still on. but the creating of the adapter plates for new ones shouldn'n take so long anymore I hope.

While "driving" to the top of the Stelvio I could show whats in it. the 400ps BMW (next to mine on the picture) with div and Rwd had no chance. I had to brake earlier and harder than I would without it in front. Also while accelerating out of the corner he didnt get away from me, I had to lift my foot a lot of times. There you feel the 300kg weight differences between this two cars.

But of course the 250 Hp which mine should have around are also going to be improved :) .  

The only bad thing at the moment is that its brutally hot in the car because I can not open the windows anymore ^^' but the lexan window kit with sliders is ordered. :D

Yesterday I modified my Ultraracing lower 4 Point strut to make it fit with the equallength frontpipes. this and the Powerflex brushes i ordered will make a lot of fun next time :) 

With this modified strut I can finally fit the plate to cover the engine from under the car :) I hope I will achive a better VMax like this :) 

Edited by blackbini

Good news :) yesterday I modified the lower 4point strut form Ultraracing and made it fit with equallength frontpipes. The good thing is, the strut is now also a protection for the exhaust :)

and also finally I have mounted the undertray.

20170621_201956.jpg

20170621_210959.jpg

Brilliant stuff!

Is that the undertray from Poland sold on ebay?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

no It is an OEM one, I bought this years ago, but couldnt fit it because of my front bumper

btw. I'm building a replica of the Ultraracing strut from inside the trunk. But carbon instead of steel :) Pictures will follow.

I saw the strut on the picture and made a carbon fiber copy :) I actually a strut for a porsche which I had laying around. you can buy them on ebay and just need to enlarge the holes. 

Its a very strong strut :D

Now I ordered the middle lower bar from Ultraracing :) and with the engine mount from powerflex I have a complete powerflex set :D (just need to install it :S) 

strut.JPG

20170622_203627.jpg

Would there actually be much flex in the boot area? Having looked at the full ultra racing set, i thought it would be worse than having a roof rack on, air flow wise, but could provide the perfect fixing points to make a completely flat underside.

BTW have you seen those engine undertrays from Japan, much smoother and stainless steel I think.

2ad283c09b615f8b288d689d708e39f3.jpg

4f61bfc3b4f1493767c20c13c5968fb3.jpg

to be honest I share your thought about that strut in the trunk, but when I had mounted it I shaked it hard to see if it does anyting, you could feel that its very stiff now. I think they didn't do it just for fun :) but in my special case is this also for the future, I want to cut out the trunk mould and the fuel tank cover and replace the fuel tank with a alloy one.

But for now I don't know anything about fuel tanks and fuel pumps. Whats needed and what has to be done to do it properly. 

Thats why I wait and maybe try it on one of my other cars first :) 

I know that undertray from Orque yes. But because it fits also to the original bumper I would need to modify also this one. Thats why I take the one I have. But I'm gaining a lot of experiences with carbon during the last year. Maybe when I have modified the airflows from that one I have, I can build one in carbon, or even carbon kevlar :) 

Have you considered an iridium battery? I have been using one in my MR2 racecar for 2.5 years an it has been excellent. It only weighs 1kg!

iridium battery..1kg???!!!!woow!!!never heard about that!is very interesting!

I know iridium batterys, but 1kg? maybe you have a 4 cilinder car?.

The lightest batterys I know are these: https://www.liteblox.de/ 

But they are expensive as hell, specially because I would need the middle one of theyr set for a V6

Edit:

Ah sorry you said mr2, all clear. 

For a V6 more ampere is needed to start It thats why I can't take the smallest. but 5kg are less enought for the moment :D

Edited by blackbini

Im sorry I meant to say lithium rather than iridium!

Yes my MR2 is 4 cylinder but my friend uses the same battery on a toyota 6 cylinder (2GR engine also used by Lotus) and selected the option with more cranking amps for the 6 cylinder, its a little heavier but still less than 2kg . Seriously worth considering, they also provide higher cranking power and more starting cycles than a lead battery.

Here is a link to the same brand I have, it weights 1.1kg in fact http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SSB-12V-400CCA-LHZ10-S-High-Performance-Lithium-Battery-YTX7A-BS-YTZ10-S-/130901360971?hash=item1e7a54414b:g:F~AAAOxybLpRg1eZ

You will need to check it is compatible with your ignition system though.

Given the the amount of effort you have gone to, this is the cheapest way to save 4kg by far.

Good to know that there is still an easy way to save weight :) but for the next time I use this battery, not that I bought it for nothing ^^'

I'm doing some detail work at the moment, I bought a complete powerflex set, from which I recently fitted the easiest one on top of the engine. really good quality :) 

I also got some vortex generators on the roof, and new airflow improvements at the front (picture follow later) 

The startbutton is also finally placed. 

20170703_192525.jpg

20170703_192555.jpg

20170704_193137.jpg

Those "vortex generators", are they real deal or just some trendy gimmick? Is there some wind-tunnel data about how it works?

Those "vortex generators", are they real deal or just some trendy gimmick? Is there some wind-tunnel data about how it works?

It works by slowing the separation of the air from the surface of the car, they create drag at the point they are placed but hope to offset this by reducing the drag co-effience further down the car. They'd need to be tested on a specific car design to work, so after-market ones are unlikely to do anything but produce drag.

They are mainly found on the front top surface of an aeroplane wing, which obviously has had a lot of professional testing gone into it. The factory fit ones to the rear of the roof of the mitsubushi evo could well be useful with the test facilities that they would have access too.

I added these for styling and for  "theoretical improvements"  to messure it I would need to test the VMax again on the german highway, but i I need to do others first until I go to test again.

I installed a Laptimer on my tablet on the dash. with this I can messure improvements in 0-100 and 100-200km/h speeds as well as vmax. 

But I did also some real improvements lately. I added some heat reflective foil to some important places as f.E. the MAF 

Then I finally mounted the blue silicon hoses and painted the original plenum black ( carbon plenum can just be mounted with getting it expensive tested to drive it on the street) but I test fitted and weighted it.

the Carbon plenum with f430 TB is around 2kg lighter than the original one

20170708_110358.jpg

20170708_174814.jpg

20170708_115214.jpg

20170708_115252.jpg

20170708_114159.jpg

I have finally mounted my OZ Wheels :) they are looking great, but with the pirelli p-Zero are really haevy, this makes the weight difference unfortunatelly less than expected. but I will change the tires to toyo to have less weight.

Weights:

OZ Alleggerita:

Rear 11x18 - 9.55Kg ( with tire (Pirelli P Zero 295/30) 24Kg) 

Front 9x18  - 8.25Kg ( with tire (Pirelli P Zero 235/40) 19.3Kg)

Keskin KT1 ( rims before (they where bought when just style and size mattered :) ))

Rear 10x18   - 16.4Kg   ( with tire (Yokohama Semi 295/30) 29,4KG)

Front 8.5x18 - 14Kg      ( with tire (Hankook (street tire) 225/40) 24.3Kg)

Weight original 7x17 Rims 

11.3Kg + 10 Tire =21.3Kg

Does anyone know light tires?

btw. also my lexan windows from plastics4performance are arived. I will install them the next days.

oz.jpg

20170801_112044.jpg

Edited by blackbini

Since you (obviously) shifted focus towards performance and weight reduction, a thing I don't understand much is why you went for 11" width rims on the back. Running 295 tires on the back on a FWD car really doesn't make too much sense! Nor running 235 on 9" width rims.. It's a shame, because you spent so much time, money and energy in saving few hundred grams of weight in some parts while you can really save a few kilos from the rims/tires setup! I think you could have gone with 8x18 and 225/40/18, maybe aiming for a lower ET on the back wheels to get a slightly wider track..

7 minutes ago, ALXege said:

Since you (obviously) shifted focus towards performance and weight reduction, a thing I don't understand much is why you went for 11" width rims on the back. Running 295 tires on the back on a FWD car really doesn't make too much sense! Nor running 235 on 9" width rims.. It's a shame, because you spent so much time, money and energy in saving few hundred grams of weight in some parts while you can really save a few kilos from the rims/tires setup! I think you could have gone with 8x18 and 225/40/18, maybe aiming for a lower ET on the back wheels to get a slightly wider track..

this is because my gtv is very wide on the back (since I have widened it 12cm on the rear and around 10cm on the front.  Its not just about build the the lightest gtv, it is allways a compromis between aerodynamics, price and performance.

If I just wanted to build the lightest gtv I shouldn't have 330er brakes, no 24v v6, no cage, and so on.

235er tires are on the rims for now (bought them occ.) with new tires I will look again what fits best. 

tyi I won't let it on standard power, and I will let the option open to change to rear engine rwd (if its possible to get this road legal) this is why I install the widest possible rims on it :)

My understanding is you built this project for absolute performance! Thus I understand why you're running a V6 or using 330 brakes, but such eider rims, especially on the back, they only bring weight, no performance :) anyway, if you are happy with the result, this is the most important thing, the car kicks ass none the less!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it difficult to custom order the OZ wheels? I assume they needed to be custom ordered since 5x98 is rare

I didn't try to order with 5x98 the rims are standard expensive enough. in this size you just get 5x130 (Porsche).

Because of the widebody I need anyway 0 offset at the wheels so I had to order adapterplates from 5x98 to 5x130.

Again new stuff :D lexan windows 1.95kg ; original windows 6kg

the rear windows will follow the next days and will bring around additional 10kg

window.jpg