Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
RedAlfa1

Newby with 3 x 916's

Howdi.  I found this international forum, it looks interesting, I will be needing some advice on my most recent 916 acquisition.

I am based in the UK.  I have a 3.0 V6 Lusso in red with 48k miles, a black 2.0 T-Spark with 51k miles and I have just acquired a third 916 - a 2.0 T-Spark as a project car with 30k miles on it.  This last car needs serious TLC as it has been left unused outside for about 8 years and was last started 4 years ago.  The brake discs are dark brown, I had to replace the two front wheels to move it as the tyres collapsed, the battery is dead, the rear calipers need refitting, the clutch pedal is set solid at the top.  However, the body and interior are excellent.  I can't hear the fuel pump click when I turn on the ignition with a jump battery attached.  The oil is still liquid.

I understand the previous owner parked it up as he had a problem starting it.  As he had several other cars he just left it and forgot about it.

Please could anyone give me a list for recommissioning?  My biggest worry so far is that the clutch is stuck hard, making me think the master cylinder and pipes are glued up with old brake fluid?  Good advice would be appreciated.  Regards, JC

Hello redalfa1! you are a true 916 lover!:happy0045:when a 916 is unused for many years..the suspension maybe is already collapsed..i mean the 1000 bushes of the rear suspension!!As you maybe know..these cars..wants a particular care and a lot of money to maintenance like new!:thumbsup:

1. Don't try starting the engine just yet. Dont try forcing clutch pedal down.

2. Change engine oil and filter ( 8 years outside unused will have produced a lot of condensation/ water in the oil )

3. Remove ignition coils and spark plugs , plugs will be corroded / fouled . Carefully clean the electrodes or buy new set.

4 . Put a small amount of engine oil ( about a teaspoon) into each cylinder through the spark plug holes.

5 Leave oil .

6. Fit a new battery. Using a jump is a waste of time on a car that has been standing this long. 

7. Leaving out the plugs ( rest coils on inlet manifold or cam cover).

8 . You need to now crank the engine over to build oil pressure . Crank engine over for say 10 times in 2/3 second bursts.

9. If it all sounds smooth enough, next thing is to fit plugs and try starting it.

10. In complete quietness turn on ignition and listen if fuel pump primes for about one second. ( sound will come from under back seat area).

11. Try cranking . It might start. 

12. If no fuel pump run , lay down next to car and thump fuel tank hard with palm of your hand while someone cranks engine over. Pumps often stick when left for years unused. Vibrating the tank usually overcomes this.

13. If engine runs beware seized auxiliary belt components. Squeeling / smoke coming up from belt area will warn you of any problems.

All of the above takes no account of the cam belt condition , which is way way beyond its replacement time.

If the cam belt breaks , don't blame me ;) . You have no choice really unless you want to do a cam belt change before any of the above.

Ideal scenario would be engine starts with no rude noises . Idle speed may be all over the place for quite some time as ecu will need to do a re learn of throttle idle setting.  

Heat and vibration from engine running may , if you're very lucky free the clutch release bearing which may be your clutch problem. Be very gentle with clutch pedal until it shows signs of freeing . 

Be be prepared to fit new discs pads and calipers all round .... 8 years outside will kill all of these .

Exhaust , if not stainless will also probably need attention.

Thanks for your advice.  The tank is 1/8th full.  Should I pump it out with a hand pump and put a couple of gallons of fresh petrol in?  Do people make too much of a big deal of stale modern petrol?  Cheers.