Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
moskovsky

TB vs V6 24V

So here It goes  :happy0045: I'm thinking of getting one more GTV sometime next year. And this time I'm going to do it right ( not saying the TS is bad but it needs a bit more go if you know what I mean) so thinking of the TB or the 24V V6. What are the differences between them? Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Edited by moskovsky

They are two beasts with slightly different character, TB pulls harder at low to medium rpm but at ~5k rpm will 3.0 24V catch up
and rev. more freely and pull harder to red line.

TB is easier and 'cheaper' to tune with a noticeable effect on horsepower/torque.

TB is easier and 'cheaper' to replace the timing belt on and do not put the same stress on the timing belt as 3.0 24V (thinking of the interval between the need for replacement here).

You do not need to adjust the valves on 3.0 24V, but on TB it's usually only the exhaust valves that need to be adjusted and that
is not to hard.

TB have a little ancient ignition system (rotor, distributor cap, etc.) that must be in good condition or else will the TB not run well.

Both are lovely cars. :)

Btw nice to see another Lithuanian here  :thumbsup: Sveikas! 

So I see both have pluses and minuses. I did notice that TB's are easier to find and cheaper to buy for some reason. I'm leaning towards the 3.0 because...well.. I think that bigger is better  :lol:

Are there differences handlingwise? I'm guessing the TB should handle better because the 3.0 has a heavy nose sindrome. Or do they weight about the same?

Edited by moskovsky

Sveikas! :) I think both weights are similar.

The TB is heavier according to most sources. The turbo and IC installation adds weight. The weight of the engine itself is basically the same, although I suspect the 24V engine is slightly heavier as it's got two more cams etc. 

3.0 !!!!!! :P The soound is so fantastic..

Acceleration with a (good) TB is like you are being launched using a huge slingshot. Acceleration in a 3.0 is more controlled, more lineair, less spectaculair, but... the noise a 3.0 makes, can give you an added sense of speed ;)

A TB is more vulnerable. It will even drive better or less depending on the weather. Motor management and ignition are oldfashioned and a bit under par. With a TB you are always looking for that 'perfect' day when everything falls into place and it all works together like it should... a 3.0 or 3.2 is much better in that way. 

Edited by jowi

So the 3.0 or 3.2 sounds a like a better choice to me then  :)  I reckon it'll come down to what I can find at the end of the day because the 3.0 are somewhat rare.

A TB is more vulnerable. It will even drive better or less depending on the weather. Motor management and ignition are oldfashioned and a bit under par. With a TB you are always looking for that 'perfect' day when everything falls into place and it all works together like it should... a 3.0 or 3.2 is much better in that way. 

100% true :)

Since you're in the UK, i doubt you can find a TB, they were never sold in the UK :)

This car would be going to LIthuania  so basically I'm looking at cars being sold in Germany, Italy etc...  :)

Edited by moskovsky