Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Carlo

GTV TB: GT2560R & FMIC upgrade

76 posts in this topic

Last week I fitted Eibach -20mm springs @ the front:

- in reality -30mm

- looks are great /perfect now!

- ride is a total dissapointment! 

20180512_202829.jpg

Edited by Carlo

Did some 3000km to southern France in August.

No cooling issues with the FMIC setup in combination with 1x 15" SPAL Fan (instead of 2x 10" OEM Fan) a standard 34mm radiator and airconditioning "ON" @ 30 Degrees Celsius. Also slow driving and much power on mountain passes.

So... as expected.. no need for fancy alloy radiators and the removal of the airconditioning. :thumbsup:

Only a temperature controlled fan on the oil cooler would be not a bad idea: I think oil-cooling performance is next to nothing when driving slowly..

4 hours ago, ALXege said:

What wheels are these? They're awesome!

They are called "Roma" so far I know. And they seem to be made from unobtainium. :D

8x18 ET38 5x98 225/40-18

Because of the high ET I needed 15mm spacers up front for looks AND to clear the Brembo's (so I end up with effectively ET23, the same as Sienna's with 5mm Spacer). On the rear I use 20mm spacers (=>ET18).

I have seen four sets till now, all on Dutch cars, two on 156's, one on a GTV and one set I stumbled over in a shed on a breakers yard.. That last set is mine now, the only set I have seen in real life till now. :thumbsup:

Good possible that my set was on one of the cars I saw on the net.

Edited by Carlo
Xtra info

This year I sold the Bilstein Fase1 front shocks and put a set Koni 24V Fase2 shocks instead:

In combination with the Fase1 Eibach front springs the ride height is -15mm (instead of -30mm).

Ride height is good, no bangs anymore etc., and in balance with the standard rear springs now. :thumbsup:

Also changed tires:

Went from the Turkish Lassa's :lol: to Dulop, 225/40-18 front & 235/40-18 rear for now. Will change to all 235/40-18 when new rubber is needed.

Got some trouble with idle speed: in the end it was at 2300rpm! :o

After some checking and help from a member of the Dutch 916register it seemed to be a faulty Idle valve: so now his valve is on my car and all is good again: 850rpm 

Now asap get a new one and give the idle valve back to the owner. :)

What is max boost now? The last value, which you have mentioned is 1.2bar with boost solenoid connected.

Do you still use original ECU? You have mentioned about changing to Megasquirt II.

3 hours ago, kunev said:

What is max boost now? The last value, which you have mentioned is 1.2bar with boost solenoid connected.

Do you still use original ECU? You have mentioned about changing to Megasquirt II.

Well, all is still the same regarding engine and MM.

I have about all to change to MS2 but most time is going into restauration work on a 1943 Dodge WC62, light 6x6 militairy truck. Lots of work!

The TB runs very well with the standard MM and injectors but I cant go full throttle above 5500rpm because of leaning out.

Maybe in the next year I can find some time to get the MS2 stuff working together with the 315cc injectors I have (instead of 189cc).

Edited by Carlo

Is the fuel pump original one? If yes, its performance probably have been degraded since new.

I guess it is still the first fuel pump. But the car has seen just 130k, so it should be fine.

Well... maybe the fuel filter is also still the original one! :D I have no idea, but it is clear that it has to be replaced anyway.

I think the injectors max out at 5500rpm flat out. That means about 240hp I guess..

But, I am not going to invest time in the original motor management. It drives very well, so I leave it this way untill I install MS2.

In my recent upgrades I found that the foam support that holds the fuel pump had badly degraded and was turning into a sand like material which was throughout the fuel system.  If yours is similar then your injectors, fuel filter and fuel pump screen may be plugged causing a low fuel (aka lean) condition at higher demand levels.

19 hours ago, Barbycar said:

In my recent upgrades I found that the foam support that holds the fuel pump had badly degraded and was turning into a sand like material which was throughout the fuel system.  If yours is similar then your injectors, fuel filter and fuel pump screen may be plugged causing a low fuel (aka lean) condition at higher demand levels.

In that case the fuel filter would do its job and protect the fuel injectors. The fuel pump screen and fuel filter would be clogged up of course.

But... I think it is not the case here:

The original injectors are still in running on a Squadra Chip set with a bigger turbo. I am pretty sure it is just the injector size which is to small for the requested amount of fuel. They are in fact already smallish for the standard power (200hp). The Squadra Chip set max out the original turbo AND the standard injectors @ 235hp.

Because of the bigger turbo the same power is already there at 5000/5500rpm instead of 6500rpm, that is what I think. It is the same ever since I drive it with this setup. Not really a problem, just a sympthom of the changes I made so far..

I changed the fuelfilter and cut the old one to see if it was clogged but it looked all right (as I expected).

The fabric of the filter was turned a bit grey.. So it was doing it's job just fine. No clogging at all. Also the filter is quite big so that is not a bad thing too.

The TB is stuck in my garage now: I found that one of the hoses from the oilcooler was leaking (while replacing the right engine mount).

Of course the connections on the cooler got haevely damaged while undoing the hoses..

So  a new, bigger, Mocal oilcooler is on its way....

To be continued...

Meanwhile a bigger Helmholtz resonator is fabricated to try to reduce exhaust drone further  @ low revs.

20200523_181114.jpg

New oilcooler with custom air duct almost finished. :thumbsup:

Fasteners still have to sorted out and some paint applied.

I found out that the OEM connections from pipe and fittings to the hose were very restrictive: just 8,2mm diameter while the pipes themselves are about 10mm ID

With the new custom hoses all will be ID=10mm, perfect!

Also the oilcooler has more area, 50 instead of 40mm thick and much more rows, so a much more effective cooler.

20200531_180349.jpg

Edited by Carlo

Well, the new oil cooler arrangement worked out nicely. :)

Also the OEM thermostat in the oilfilter mount works like it should: oil lines stay perfectly cold till oil temp reaches 85/90°C.

Next job is to mount a thermoswitch controlled fan behind the oilcooler to get better oil temp control at low roadspeeds and also enhance totall cooling capacity. :thumbsup:

Mmm... TB runs very rich @ idle so something is wrong somewhere...

It drives very good but smells quite bad.. :mellow:

Takie kratki były fabrycznie w Alfie 164. Posiadanie drukarki można jeszcze ulepszyć (trapez prostokątny).

19m (1) .jpg

18m.jpg

Edited by Lech

On 2.04.2021 at 23:44, Carlo said:

Mmm ... nie, dziękuję, wolę mój FMIC ... :headbang:

In your case, I was about the oil cooler.