Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Carlo

GTV TB: GT2560R & FMIC upgrade

76 posts in this topic

In my opinion intercooler with such size (as on Carlo's car) is ok for such project and for sure not too big (it is probably closer to be small, than to be big) and fit just fine as can be seen. Also the turbo is efficient one and probably will be used moderate boost. 

@Carlo Did you have air conditioner? Does this intercooler setup require bumper cutting (but this is related to first question also)?

@Thanos Such twin pass design intercooler is not very good. Also in this case is not achieved big benefit from using of intercooler with in and out from same side for shorter and straighter piping, mainly for that between turbo and intercooler.

The best design for lowest pressure drop and highest flow capability is with big internal flow area (where charged air goes). Such is achieved for example with design with vertical flow (where in/out are at top/bottom) and with such can be reduced piping and lag respectively. But a horizontal flow intercooler with its long channels there should be higher temperature drop (and higher pressure drop). So some balance have to be made in respect to available space.

@kunev  Airco is still there. I put the lower part a little backwards like 2cm. Bumper has to be cut and all further plastic parts didnt fit anymore. Made some new stuff out of aluminium and pp (air duct to the radiator). You can see it on the picture.

Also a SPAL 15" fan instead of the original twin fans because I used the 166TB headers and the front one needs more space.

20170807_180725.jpg

Edited by Carlo

you should upgrade to a alloy cooler when you are doing this work. have you read my thread about the 155 radiator which almost was a perfect fit? btw. a friend of mine has the radiator from auto delta, and mine did actually fit better :)

Well... the one I have now is a new OEM one, the thick version. Should be enough I guess..... 

I put also some effort in it to make sure the air wich enters the bumper intake actualy goes thru the radiator, sealed all around. Also drilled the crossmember in front of it.

And kept the airconditioner.. :thumbsup:

Well... it is alive! :)

https://youtu.be/PGTXnkCVECk

Here a video without downpipe (now fitted)..

Did some testing on the industrial area where my Man-Cave is on low boost (wastegate for now directly connected to boost after intercooler). The waste gate is fully open @ 0,5bar.

Low boost for now because I am running the standard motormanagement with Squadra chips which are made for a standard engine setup.

I mentioned that the boost comes in at the same or even a bit earlier than the original turbo (2400-2500rpm). Below that rpm the engine is happy pulling as well. Because of the low boost the engine behaves like a bigger non turbo engine, without a big push in the back. I pulled full throttle till 5500 or so. No strange behaviour because of the mods (bigger turbo, downpipe and intercooler).

Need some finishing this weekend and than next week hopefully going for a fresh MOT.

44 minutes ago, blackbini said:

Great Sound :)

Unfortunately the downpipe + rest of exhaust has to be on for use on the street! :lol::D

Yeah! New MOT is on the TB! First time in 9 (nine) years! :lol:

First 200km are done.. It drives veryyy well.. For now the waste gate is directly connected without the Pierburgh valve. So boost will be 0,5bar or so. But still it is very strong en smooth.

In the UK it is called MOT and in Spain it is ITV. Here in The Netherlands it is APK.

It is a anual technical test for safety and environmental crap. :)

Edited by Carlo
typemismatches!!

7 hours ago, Gaincho said:

Correction. ITV in spain. And here it's basically to get money out of our pockets.

Ah, yes! It is with a V not U. :thumbsup:

APK has basically the same effect I think.. But also: some people need to be protected against their ignorance.. :P

Edited by Carlo

Well...   After Christmas I went for a trip to Belgium with my girlfriend... First stop was the local fuel station... After filling up the Alfa Code light didn't go off anymore => dead engine... Fortunately my girl said to me: "Esta la vida!" :-)

Left the TB at the fuel station and took the 156 from my dad and there we go.. When I came back two days later it just started right away.. Took it back home and left it there for some days.. Checking de Code light a couple of times but now the light didnt go off.. Next weekend tried again.. yes! Let's go for a ride. Sunday it started too, so went straight to my garage for checking the connection of the Alfa Code related stuf (antenna and yellow box). Checked all, found nothing wrong.. Put some contact spray on the connectors and well... all keeps on working now...

Now building up some statistics: making contact in the morning, afternoon and evening and see if the light goes off. Result after 5days = 100%

On 17-1-2018 at 10:17, blackbini said:

check this relays: http://www.squadra916.com/forums/topic/4071-starting-problem/

I had similar issues on my cf2 3l

In my case it looks like it was only the AlfaCode...

The connectors on the yellow box I think. It works perfectly again... but still fingers crossed..

In my TB on the location above the right front wheel there are only relais for the cooling fans and airco.

Last weekend I connected the boost control solenoid again. Measured the boost before and after: 0,4bar vs 1,2bar @ 6400rpm!

It was running wel.. but now.. Reallyyy a lot of power! :D

But well... common sence tells me it shouldn't give more power than the original setup: Original motor management, injectors and Squadra chips.

This weekend I connect my TechEdge lambda controller to see what the AFR is. 

The wideband lambda tells me that it is running lean at high revs (around 6000rpm).

With normal driving it runs perfectly lambda 1 (well..14.8 instead of 14.7,  just a little lean or a small fault in the measurement).

Full boost till 5000/5500 is good at AFR 12, after that it starts to lean out via 13 @ 6000 and 15 @ 6500. (12 to 12.5 is good for full throttle).

First thing is to change fuel filter.. Maybe it makes a difference.. and I want to change it anyway. ☺

After that the original MM has to make place for the MS2.

First thing is installing the EGT probes. The bungs are already welded in just after the manifolds.

3 hours ago, Carlo said:

The wideband lambda tells me that it is running lean at high revs (around 6000rpm).

With normal driving it runs perfectly lambda 1 (well..14.8 instead of 14.7,  just a little lean or a small fault in the measurement).

Full boost till 5000/5500 is good at AFR 12, after that it starts to lean out via 13 @ 6000 and 15 @ 6500. (12 to 12.5 is good for full throttle).

First thing is to change fuel filter.. Maybe it makes a difference.. and I want to change it anyway. ☺

After that the original MM has to make place for the MS2.

First thing is installing the EGT probes. The bungs are already welded in just after the manifolds.

The like button is missing after the last squadra916 crash, so here is my :thumbsup:

The Roma 8x18 rims are on.. this weekend started on the 4x70mm  Ragazzon.. almost finished.. :)

20180311_181031.jpg

20180311_171506.jpg

Soundcheck was not good possible yet.. Car is still on my carlift.. But it sounded not super loud (fortunately).

Material is Stainless steel 304 (what else? :) )

Edited by Carlo

Unfortunately there was a very strong drone on low revs till 3000 with the new exhaust setup which was unbareable.

So last weekend I made a variant of a Helmholtz resonator which is adjustable in volume to see what gives best results...

Right at the start it was MUCH beter!!

Next is to play with the volume of the resonance chamber. ☺

20180324_213243.jpg

20180325_190654.jpg

Back from snowboarding in Austria...

And about 2000km mostly Autobahn later (mostly left lane :D ), the TB did a great job!

Speeds mainly between 130-160km/h and just 1L fuel for every 10kms. I think that is not bad at all for a 23 year old car... :thumbsup:

20180401_182026[1].jpg

Edited by Carlo
Attaching pic