Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
alfaman51

Return of the Cup

53 posts in this topic

I shall ring Mtec... the front discs are £99 in the UK. They have to be worth a try.

I used Brembo discs last time, they were fine too. I have used tar-ox on race cars in the past. The reality is that this is and will always be a road car so  I need reliability and durability without too much extra noise so that it can cope with slow lazy days but also be able to stand up to when I want to take it out and wring its neck! 

My old GTV is now largely stripped ( this seems to have taken  a long time) and the body kit is sold. I'm not sure what I should do with the excellent ( 72k miles) V6... there has to be a project there somewhere.

Next week the transplant can begin... Big brakes, clutch , flywheel, lsd, exhaust system. I'm getting quite excited. I shall take the Cup up to Autodevelopments in Wolverhampton and leave it with them. It should be transformed when I get it back. 

Put the the 72k engine and 6 speed box on a pallet and stick it in the corner of your garage if you have room. They will be difficult to find 1 day. I'm currently on the look out for a gta 3.2 power plant with box. 3.75 rebuild on the cards !

I have a buyer for the box ( I need the cash to fund the improvements to the cup) but I shall keep the engine safely stored. These cars must now be on the way to being tomorrow's classics....

I am told that I should be able to collect the Cup tomorrow. Everything should have been done. All I have to do then is drive it....bliss.

Spring seems to be here! Time to get the sleeping beauty out of the garage and into the sunshine...and it started instantly. It's time for the MoT on Monday, so fingers crossed...

post-169-0-35859700-1426956668_thumb.jpg

post-169-0-15694400-1426956691_thumb.jpg

post-169-0-26815800-1426956707_thumb.jpg

post-169-0-65345700-1426956727_thumb.jpg

post-169-0-66321800-1426956753_thumb.jpg

post-169-0-93199200-1426956767_thumb.jpg

post-169-0-12722800-1426956828_thumb.jpg

I really don't see a reason why it should fail. It looks like it just left the factory :D

Spring seems to be here! Time to get the sleeping beauty out of the garage and into the sunshine...and it started instantly. It's time for the MoT on Monday, so fingers crossed...

Stunning, but you can see in the second pics some of the dreaded swirl marks. Easily remedied and great car.

It's back! Mot duly passed without advisories. A clean bill of health to start the year. I spent yesterday working on the engine bay. I stripped out both fuel rails and used Westwood paint to re-create the cadmium coating of the original finish. Uses a gold base layer then translucent red and green colours to create the final effect. I had taken the intake pipes off to do this so they were cleaned and polished. New red silicon couplers were used to replace the original rubber items which were ageing and cracked where they had become heat hardened. I also refinished all the allen bolts and other fixings.

Here are the results....

post-169-0-29986900-1427627749_thumb.jpg

post-169-0-97954200-1427627775_thumb.jpg

post-169-0-33603800-1427627786_thumb.jpg

post-169-0-35672100-1427627793_thumb.jpg

Wonderful... :wub:

I want the same for my monster.

Good job! :thumbsup:

Looks great well done.

Out of curiosity what's the black box , best seen in picture 4 above, to the right of the intakes just above the oil breather filter you've fitted?

I have the same engine as yours but don't appear to have that box there !!

Here's my engine as a reference

812C6F5B-D9F8-43C3-B212-DC0D9B82F6BA_zps

I've been too busy with work recently. No Time to play!

A6C , I think that your engine must be a CF 2 unit. ( Probably the best of the 3.0 litre V 6's in my view) . The black box is no more than a plastic box which protects some connectors.

The oil breather is a temporary solution . When I have time I intend to replace the two breather pipes with braided steel hoses and join them via a T piece  so that they both vent into the inlet tract between the plenum chamber and the MAF sensor unit. At the moment only one vents that way. 

Does anyone think that this will cause a problem? 

No engine pics this time.. just a report on progress. I found that the car was getting too warm in traffic ....cooling fan not cutting in when it should, but now fixed. 

I have turned my attention to the suspension this month. The front struts were looking well past their prime so I have replaced all the struts/ dampers with Koni sport units. 

I have also replaced the springs with Eibach springs which mean that the car sits just a little lower.

The rear dampers only have 4 settings. I have had mine set to position 3 , but I think it is a fraction too hard. The fronts are fully soft to start with and I will try increasing the firmness little by little....

Has anyone else out there tried Konis? If so, what do you think? 

No engine pics this time.. just a report on progress. I found that the car was getting too warm in traffic ....cooling fan not cutting in when it should, but now fixed. 

I have turned my attention to the suspension this month. The front struts were looking well past their prime so I have replaced all the struts/ dampers with Koni sport units. 

I have also replaced the springs with Eibach springs which mean that the car sits just a little lower.

The rear dampers only have 4 settings. I have had mine set to position 3 , but I think it is a fraction too hard. The fronts are fully soft to start with and I will try increasing the firmness little by little....

Has anyone else out there tried Konis? If so, what do you think? 

Haven't tried them. Never came far enough rebuilding mine to get new shocks. I seem to recall most people running their rear Konis on the softest setting?