Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Filip

Filip's GTV TS Clubsport project

510 posts in this topic

Hello people! 

Since I've been hanging out on this site for a while and think it's awesome, I guess I should introduce my own little projet to you all  :thumbsup:

It's a GTV 2.0 TS from 1995. It was Rosso at the factory... now it's a dozen shades of Rosso.  :lol:

Bought it recently with very limited knowledge of its history so it's a gamble! It's been used long and hard and I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to get it back in really really good shape. Well, if you spent a serious fortunate... and there are better 916s if you wanna spend a fortune on one. 

Pics!

DSC_1272.jpg

oreg.jpg

Anyone know a quick trick to edit out the license plates from photos? I'm using a noob tool now, MS Paint...

utanreg.jpg

The ET of the wheels is a little off. They are 17" wheels branded Team Dynamics I believe? Maybe it's just the center caps that are TD...  :P

Anyone wanna see a list of specs? 

Or do you rather wanna hear my plans for it?  ;)

So... I've got the car and I've got a plan! But... I have no garage  :huh:

No major mods will happen until I've found a decent garage. So far I've removed some stupid Sparco belt pads, topped it up with coolant, fitted ring clamps on the battery terminals so it's ridiculously easy to connect the battery charger. And polished the windows on both the inside and outside because they had a layer of grease on them that I didn't like :P

So basically I havent dont anything yet, just driven it about 1000 km and enjoyed it  :)

The long term Master Plan, with capital letters  :D , is:

• Shed as much weight as possible without making it a complete animal on the roads
  • Fit a fibre glass hood and try to even out the weight distribution a bit more

The seats, carpets, stereo, speakers and most of the interior trim will get thrown out. 

• Fit a harness bar, a proper race seat and a 6-point harness

Since I'm totally useless at welding and don't plan to compete, I think a roll cage is overkill. The GTV's body shell is actually

unusually rigid for its time period. Just look at the door sills. 

• Modify the suspension for track work w/ coilovers (probably FK?) and camber bolts
  • Fit Powerflex Black bushes all over the rear axle
  • Fit an aftermarket rear ARB
  • Fit 4-pot front calipers, probably Brembo, w/ 305mm  discs or larger. 

I'll do these things one thing at a time. My main goal is to drive it a lot and become a good FWD driver before I spend thousands on expensive-but-oh-so-tempting aftermarket parts  :hello:

BUT... the list of more urgent must-do's is rather long, too! Wonder why that always seems to be the case with used cars  :rolleyes:

Both please! :)

:hello: don't mess around :ph34r: ... tell us your plan :bounce:

Will do  :good:

• It's done 220000 km. A lot in other words. 
  • Imported from France, allegedly. I have no evidence  :D
  • No AC from factory
  • Half leather/half textile interior - a lot more comfortable than 916 leather seats!  :o
  • Recent cambelt service
  • Recent wheel alignment
  • Aftermarket cone air filter
  • Recent homebuilt 2.5" exhaust system with a FIA race cat
  • 17" wheels with Nankang NS-2 215/40R17 tires. They are not even close to as bad as I thought!
  • New rear standard Brembo discs and pads

So it should be mechanically healthy. It pulls strongly, starts without issues and sounds good.

I'm planning a "oil change De Luxe" in spring. Apart from the usual, I'll change the cabin/pollen filter, the transmission oil, the coolant and the fuel filter. 

On my Fix-It-ASAP list, we have the valve cover gasket because it looks like it's given up. All around the engine, there are oil smudges below where the gasket sits and they look kind of fresh, so I assume I need to change the gasket?

It's above the manifold and on the far side of the engine block, looking down between the intake runners.

Can there be another cause?

Also, the ABS does not work, which I realized the other day. No lights are on on the dash, so I guess someone has just disconnected the whole thing and rigged the dash not to flash?  :angry:

No front badge and no ABS yea probably a French import.  :P

Keep us updated about the progress.

:)

No front badge and no ABS yea probably a French import.  :P

Keep us updated about the progress.

Room for improvement...  :D

Maybe there is no ABS hardware in the car at all... surprise surprise

Yeaa, the hunt for garage is looking good. Will sign the rental agreement tomorrow!

A dozen shades of Rosso in your introduction made me laugh ;-)

Are you doing the technical stuff yourself in the garage? Congratulations with your new man cave ;-))

Maybe there is no ABS hardware in the car at all... surprise surprise

Sporty :D

Yeaa, the hunt for garage is looking good. Will sign the rental agreement tomorrow!

Nice :thumbsup:

Garage is signed for! Will get access on November 16.  :happy0045:

Now I'm gonna plan what to buy first. I'm gonna need a fair deal of tools that I'm no longer gonna be able to borrow
and I also have to figure out in what order I'm gonna buy all the spares and upgrades. Oh, such unpleasant problems  :P

Tools: Work light, new jack stands, a new set of 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets and so on... 

Upgrades:

1. Strut brace & subframe brace

2. Yellowstuff pads, steel braided brake hoses and ATE Racing Blue fluid (just gotta make sure I have the early calipers).

3. Oil temp gauge. Possibly oil pressure, too. 

4. Everything else. Wish I were rich  B)

Repairs:

1. What's up with the ABS?

2. Attach the exhaust to the car.... not sure that you can call it attached at the moment  :thumbsup:

3. Repair the door hinge on the driver's side. It's gone bad somehow, makes really embarrassing noises and stuff

4. Fit an original Ph1 grille with a new Alfa badge  :)

Tools:
Biltema is your friend.

Upgrades:

1 :thumbsup:

2 :thumbsup:

3 Nää(Nope)...you just worry yourself sick by the readings.
4 What else?

Repairs:
1 Fuse?
2 Rat-look Racer? :ph34r:

3 Sound that suits the Rat-look? B)

4 Are you sure about it? I think of the Rat-look.

+1 for the rat look

:P

GTV-TB

first of all, It is about time to indruce us your Gtv. I know it is a unique one B).

Second, are you sure about not having an oil gauge?

Filip,

what kind of subframe do you have in mind?

A dozen shades of Rosso in your introduction made me laugh ;-)

Are you doing the technical stuff yourself in the garage? Congratulations with your new man cave ;-))

I laugh to myself whenever I walk around the car and find a new shade of Rosso ;)

Yep, I've always wanted to learn how to do it all myself and this car is the perfect patient! It is in working condition but can't really get any worse in terms of paint, neatness and all that stuff  :beer:

Stop....spanner time! Congratulations.

Nananan... feel the groove!!

"Every time I see it

The Rosso's just so hype

I'm flat on the floor and I'm magic at the wrench

Now why would I ever stop liking it?

With others drivin' BM's that just don't hit

I've toured around the Bay, from Gaskets to the Rad

It's "Leaky, go Leaky, Greasy, yo, Awesome'!

And the rest will break another day"

Tools:

Biltema is your friend.

Upgrades:

1 :thumbsup:

2 :thumbsup:

3 Nää(Nope)...you just worry yourself sick by the readings.

4 What else?

Repairs:

1 Fuse?

2 Rat-look Racer? :ph34r:

3 Sound that suits the Rat-look? B)

4 Are you sure about it? I think of the Rat-look.

Kamasa Tools at a tasty discount. And Biltema, of course. No one can escape...  :good:

Upgrades:

3. You are probably right as usual about the gauges... Tho I want an oil temp gauge! But maybe oil pressure is a bit exaggerated and distracting. 

4. What else? What not...  ;) I'd like to have a proper race seat, a roll cage, a six point harness. Then I'd like a set of coilovers, preferrably Intrax, a fibre glass hood, adjustable ARBs, a respray, 4/6-point front calipers w/ huge slotted discs, a turbo conversion w/ E85 and a custom tune ECU...  :rolleyes:

On a serious note, if I could squeeze in a decent set of coilovers (FK or better) and a seat + harness & bar, it would be fantastic. I will prioritize mechanical health and reliability tho.  :)

Repairs:

1. Going to dig deeper when I get settled in the garage. Good idea tho, thanks! 

2. Unfortunately too much. Can't lose the last pieces of Alfa refinement  :rolleyes:

3. Definitely!

4. Rest assured that the replacement will be heavily faded by the sun, so it matches the car  :thumbsup:

+1 for the rat look

:P

GTV-TB

first of all, It is about time to indruce us your Gtv. I know it is a unique one B).

Second, are you sure about not having an oil gauge?

Filip,

what kind of subframe do you have in mind?

Yep, GTV-TB, it's about time!  :duel:

Thanos, check out the pic below: 

Lower brace/subframe support 916

An Alfa enthusiast in Sweden manufactures these for about €70 painted and ready to be fitted. Will be contacting him shortly and order one. 

Read again :D I haven't ordered it yet, so I don't know! It's shouldnt increase understeer but it increases driving precision immensely, apparently. And it looks cool :)

Kamasa Tools...luxury guy.. :cens:

A little teaser....TB power :coffee:

I'd never pay the full price for Kamasa  :blush: Some items are incredible while others are sub standard. Guess I'll get the majority from other, cheaper places. 

Hey TB power... No worn out clutch teasers!! Tell us more! 

pic-29d5eb1caba04b0b21e993e24ca9fe44-mid

Mmm Boobs...errh :blush2: ..needed a little more braking power even though it is only one turbo in the TB, and less unsprung weight is always nice. :coffee:

post-17-0-82378500-1383864201_thumb.jpg

Kamasa Tools...luxury guy.. :cens:

A little teaser....TB power :coffee:

Mmm Boobs...errh :blush2: ..needed a little more braking power even though it is only one turbo in the TB, and less unsprung weight is always nice. :coffee:

Will you keep on hijacking Filip's topic or shall I open a new topic for you? :P