Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
charlee

Regional sections

Opinion on Regional Sections   47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have regional sections on the forum?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
34 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I have a question for you and would really like your input on this. Would you be interested in having regional sections on the forum where you can plan your local meets and events and post in your native language? Each section would have it's own moderator. 

I know most of you have local forums and communities and that's the reason I am asking this in the first place.

Please cast your vote and try to explain your reasons in this topic.

Firstly, I believe the Squadra 916 community is too small for regional sections to work. Not enough users, not enough regional power to act. Secondly, the reason that I find this board so entertaining and useful is that, no matter where you live, you can come here and share your experiences and ask for help. Thirdly, the way the forum is set up at the moment, it is very easy to navigate. Creating more sections might jeopardize that. 

Filip, I agree with you in some points. The forum is small, but I wouldn't say that there is no regional power. Secondly, I am not talking about any big changes, just a new section, e.g. Section XY with sub forums for whatever the regions would be). So it wouldn't change the forum structure at all. I was asking to see if there is any point in doing that and if yes, which regions would be supported.

The problem is that users are not active. We have more than 500 users and only about 40 of them are daily visitors. That's less than 10%. There is absolutely no casual talk or off topic on the forum and it feels a bit too cold for me. So, this idea was to get members to visit more often and post more on a daily basis. 

I love the integrity of this international forum and I don't have need for any additional local support, but I understand motive behind the idea. Our Croatian part of Squadra is very low-traffic and most of messages there are about local meets, local services, shops, etc. and most users there are more comfortable to communicate that kind of stuff in their native language.

So, I think that an experiment can do no harm. We can try it and see if it will fly - if not, it's easy to drop the whole idea.

I also agree with Filip. If there is enough active users from some country it can be done. But charlee is right about users activity and casual talks unfortunately. charlee I want to ask you one statistic question - how many not registered users visit the forum average per day, week? Maybe the major reasons for low writing activity are not mature language and that members don't know each other in person. So maybe it's time for Squadra916 team building :D .

I also agree with Filip. If there is enough active users from some country it can be done. But charlee is right about users activity and casual talks unfortunately. charlee I want to ask you one statistic question - how many not registered users visit the forum average per day, week? Maybe the major reasons for low writing activity are not mature language and that members don't know each other in person. So maybe it's time for Squadra916 team building :D .

There approximately 200 visits a day and here are the visit statistics for the last year.

post-1-0-22803300-1368915246_thumb.png

I love the integrity of this international forum and I don't have need for any additional local support, but I understand motive behind the idea. Our Croatian part of Squadra is very low-traffic and most of messages there are about local meets, local services, shops, etc. and most users there are more comfortable to communicate that kind of stuff in their native language.

So, I think that an experiment can do no harm. We can try it and see if it will fly - if not, it's easy to drop the whole idea.

+1 Agree...

Edited by Afrosrodos

I think that among the technical and other issues we discuss in here, another important reason behind

the forum is that as time goes by, we know each other and that's why we become a big family!! :)

If the sub-sections are created, many won't bother visiting the rest of the forum and that's not gonna happen..

On the other hand it's a motive for the inactive members :unsure:

A test will show! :thumbsup:

I think that Squadra 916 is a really great resource . I have owned and run Alfas since the 1970s, but I have learned so much of value about 916 series cars from you guys . 

Without the skills, enthusiasm and knowledge available on the forums I would have struggled to do some of the work that has now transformed my GTV V6.

The discussions are invaluable and whilst earning a living has got in the way of doing anything much with the car over the winter and spring, I still look at the site on a regular basis, just to stay up to date.

I suppose that there aren't that many of us who value our cars enough to be regarded as real alfisti - but Squadra 916 is invaluable to those of us  who do. I'm not sure that we have sufficient numbers to support individual sections and I don't want anything to happen that would detract from the forums. I quite like the fact that we are able to pool knowledge and experience from all over the world and centralise it in one accessible venue.

I'm not against the idea of sections as such, but I think they might just be a distraction. I don't know how many UK based members we have or whether we need to try to recruit in any event?.

The truth is that I rather like things as they are! :)

Hi All,

I'm new so no disrespect intended. I think some of the reasons posted for not having regional sections are very good, as well as some of the reasons for having them. I feel that it would mean that members would ignore the rest of the site and only look at their own local section, this would be detremental to the site as well as to the members. The way it is now provides an insight into the Alpha world in many different countries, I feel this is a valuable resource.

A possible way too accomadate local users would be to try and set up international meets between neighbouring countries, this would take a bit or organising but given the Alpha family it is possible.

In short I don't think we need regional sections but more to appoint regional organisers.

Thanks...HowleR

(ps. I look at the site a lot from work, so I don't log in when I do)

Edited by HowleR

Thanks for the input, guys, I really appreciate it.

What do you think about dividing the events section into regions? As Squadra916 is an international site, international events are pretty hard to organise on a weekly/monthly basis. However, Howler has a very good suggestion with appointing regional organisers.   

I think that at the moment it isn´t necessary. If we create language sections  we can talk to 2-3 members in our own language. That makes not really sense. And other members can´t read it, because they don´t understand all different languages.

Look at the English bb-forum, it is very big and there is only one language too. And it functions very good.

Maybe in some years when we are bigger it makes sense but not at that Moment.

Evening folks. I am one for having regional sections. It would be great to meet up with some fellow 916 owners in the South Wales area.

As an active member on another Alfa forum.... I can say.... I have met some fantastic fellow Alfisti who I now can call my friends. We have regular get togethers at car events or just socially. In fact we have a curry night organised on next weekend! :)

I don't think it'll distract from the rest of the site. In fact I believe it may generate more interest.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I must agree with Michael, the forum is oke the way it is now.

Don't know if thats the way to get more posts a day.

If you want to have Squadra meet with locals in youre country, then organise a meeting here on the forum.

There is no need for sepperate section for that in my opinion.

When we grow bigger, maybe its nice to have some sort Off topic section where you can discuss in youre own language.

We can try that.

but honestly i realy like the forum the way it is, my English improves by posting so It's fun and educational.

Ok guys, thanks for taking your time to vote and share your opinion. 

15 votes for NO

12 for YES

It is pretty close. Should we give it some more time?

And what about the Events section being divided in regions? Not necessarily in different languages.

I also voted no.

The good thing about an international forum is, well, it being international.

The last thing you should want is it braking up into a thousand pieces with all kinds of subforums in different languages.

A lot of precious information could get lost (as our good friend Joost pointed out) because it was written in another language.

Just type away in your best English, people will understand.

And if you have have local events, just put them in the calendar with a little info.

We have loads off events in Holland wich are also visited by many international enthousiasts.

Yes I agree with Fabian and also voted no.

This forum is unique and half of its appeal to me is all the members interacting from different countries. 

Not like other forums where you mainly communicate with the "natives"

Andy

I vote yes!we are many gtv-spider owners in greece..i think that the Charlee idea is an oportunity to unit more owners!

Firstly, I believe the Squadra 916 community is too small for regional sections to work. Not enough users, not enough regional power to act. Secondly, the reason that I find this board so entertaining and useful is that, no matter where you live, you can come here and share your experiences and ask for help. Thirdly, the way the forum is set up at the moment, it is very easy to navigate. Creating more sections might jeopardize that. 

Yes i totaly agree i live in the northwest of england, Blackpool to be exact and i think the nearest 916member is over 100 miles away not going to get many attending local meets because of logistics.

i agree. The forum is far to small.

I just want to use it to read and learn about topics like technics, merchandise and pictures of member cars. 

Forum is fine as it is I think, small but growing. Numbers of our cars are decreasing but that said, numbers of cars in the hands of people who care about them are increasing. I think (selfishly) keeping it all in English language is good, otherwise I'd be lost!!!!

I predict a slow but steady growth in numbers matched by a good growth of technical resources posted here.

Keep it up Charlee

Filip, I agree with you in some points. The forum is small, but I wouldn't say that there is no regional power. Secondly, I am not talking about any big changes, just a new section, e.g. Section XY with sub forums for whatever the regions would be. So it wouldn't change the forum structure at all. I was asking to see if there is any point in doing that and if yes, which regions would be supported.

Thanks for the input, guys, I really appreciate it.

What do you think about dividing the events section into regions? As Squadra916 is an international site, international events are pretty hard to organise on a weekly/monthly basis. However, Howler has a very good suggestion with appointing regional organisers.   

I've been thinking and changed my mind a bit  :lol:

It is true and a problem that there are no casual sub sections because, as you put it, Charlee, it tends to be a little stiff around here sometimes. Having regional sections in Events seems like a good solution that is worth a shot, if they become areas where 916 fans can mess around some and get to know each other.  :hello:

In other words, do it! If it doesn't make a difference, then just remove it... 

I've been thinking and changed my mind a bit  :lol:

It is true and a problem that there are no casual sub sections because, as you put it, Charlee, it tends to be a little stiff around here sometimes. Having regional sections in Events seems like a good solution that is worth a shot, if they become areas where 916 fans can mess around some and get to know each other.  :hello:

In other words, do it! If it doesn't make a difference, then just remove it... 

I share the same opinion here...