Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Paso

GTV 3.0 V6 24V Paso

183 posts in this topic

I thought about that, but this was so easy solution and I almost alway drive with the lights on, so it's not a big deal. Maybe one day when I replace the headunit.

Long time no photos, so it's about time... :)

This is Rijeka's harbour. 2020 is our year as this year Rijeka is the European Capital of Culture, but unfortunately the global pandemia ruined our plans. On a good side - there is no crowd so it's easy to take great shots in the downtown.

GTV-Paso-Zaljev-luka-2020-001-lowres.jpg

GTV-Paso-Zaljev-luka-2020-002-lowres.jpg

GTV-Paso-Zaljev-luka-2020-003-lowres.jpg

Always a pleasure to look tout gtv .. :wub:B)

your car is an icon of Squadra 916! :thumbsup:

New outer seal on the left side, only the guide was broken, not bad for 23 years. It's super easy to replace, just slide it up and put it back!

EaQGuIhWsAIBfLS.jpg

Also, I finally found the missing bit to complete my cockpit; for years I have old Zedner chrome gauges for centre console, but I never got the chrome rings for heating controls. I found them at Polish "Dido Tuning" store on eBay, now it's all set and in the same style. They don't make cockpits like this anymore, now they just put a big tablet on a side because "buyers want digital control". I don't dig that.

GTV phase 1 chrome cockpit.jpeg

"digital control" is cheaper to produce these days, no knobs, no swiches, just touch.

I don't like it either, there is no feel in it. And on a bumpy road it is almost impossible to control precisely.

On 30.6.2018 at 00:07, Paso said:

On the end I found water pump with metal impeller, it's from Thermotec, and also there is a HEPU model with a metal part, and also it seems that SKF part has metal impeller and so on... so you just need to search a bit.

Also, as it's hard to get the new oil cap for Busso, I made it with Adobe Illustrator and computer cutter! If anyone need the source vector file, I can email it! :)

Dg0RNUWXcAEZyxx.jpg-large.jpeg

Is it still possible to get this file? I would highly appreciate it. I was actually even thinking of a reversed template and just spraypainting it on.

bentholmjr@gmail.com

The theatrical premiere of historical reconstruction of the true story of the exciting and fascinating creation of the Alfa Aerodinamica Spider car, a masterpiece and icon among legendary cars, created in Rijeka, is summarized in the play "Alfa Romeo Jankovits".

Enjoy some photos from the premiere night...

IMG_3410.jpeg2O6A1651.jpg

Alfa HNK 2.jpg

2O6A1681.jpg

2O6A1736.jpg

2O6A1751.jpg

2O6A1849.jpg

2O6A1868.jpg2O6A1164-1536x1023.jpg

2O6A1912.jpg

2O6A1886.jpg

2O6A1978-1536x1023.jpg

I got permission from the municipal warden to come here by car - because it is the building of the Croatian National Theater and the pedestrian zone. :)

Alfa GTV Paso HNK 02.jpg

Alfa GTV Paso HNK 03.jpg

So good, your GTV is epic.

Just wondering if you get any scrubbing with the wheels / tyres? (Especially in the back)

Lovely! Also saw some nice pics of your car on Alfattitude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, elm11g said:

So good, your GTV is epic.

Just wondering if you get any scrubbing with the wheels / tyres? (Especially in the back)

I have zero scrubbing back (Eibach + Bilstein BE6) but I don't use any spacers. With 1 cm spacers it does scrub on bumps.

On the front it scrubs just a bit when on full lock, but that's not an issue.

It was time to rebuild the rear suspension!

The "general knowledge" is that on GTV the rear suspension is terribly expensive, but also ingenious, but when you have such an old car everything is a problem regardless of low mileage. Lot of things get stuck and rusted, and then the show starts as you have to work carefully and patiently. I replaced everything except Powerflex bushes which are ok and I left them as they are. I didn’t go anywhere for uniball, but that’s an open option too. I’d love to hear that from someone who’s been through it first hand and knows exactly which alternate part is used for which position.

What has bothered me for a long time are the "toe-in adjusters” as they were stuck when I was adjusting the geometry last time. My mechanic managed to locate the new pair, from some warehouse in Denmark, the last two pieces and I finally installed it so that the supsension could be finally adjusted correctly.

E6Vbzv4WYAkgrGG.jpg

But even though everything was already ready for assembly, in the end it wasn’t trivial because when we took off the old ones it turned out that the rubber is far harder than the new ones despite being 24 years old! But the old ones are stuck and can’t be adjusted. We couldn’t move the old heads on the new rods because it couldn’t be unscrewed. And now the real question is what should they be in the original - elastic or hard? Maybe the old ones hardened with age, and in the beginning they were also elastic? Does anyone have experience with this, not necessarily on GTV?

Old suspension experts at Autoservis Bivio say that they are better to be hard, and yet my experience when I replaced the soft parts of the suspension with Powerflex is not that great, but of course it depends on which position it is. As it was raining today, I couldn’t try it, but obviously it requires a driving test.

IMG_3839.jpeg

IMG_3838.jpeg

IMG_3841.jpeg

IMG_3844b.jpg

The suspension settings are now in line with what Alfa Romeo states in the GTV Workshop Manual with some inevitable deviation as the car is lowered, but there is nothing terrible about anything that would specifically “eat the tires”. Anyway, the traction was always more important to me than that my tires lasted longer.

What they suggest to me, if I’m not satisfied, is to try to slightly close the rear suspension, so we can see how it behaves then. I don't know if I have the nerve for these experiments, I think my favorite is the factory setup, they certainly didn't put it that way for no reason so I guess it'll be fine for normal road conditions and I'm rarely on Grobnik racetrack anyway.

I'll report my impressions after a test drive on a dry road!

As I promised, here are my impressions after the test drive, it was constantly raining, so I postponed the test ...

The car handles nicely! :)

My test route is a very nice piece of sea road from Mošćenička Draga to Brseč and back.

There is no drastic difference compared to before the rebuild, the only thing I felt is that the "rear steering effect" that I have lost after the Powerflexing is now partialy back. Although the all Powerflex bushes have remained, the other rubber parts have been replaced, and the “track adjusters” are now new and elastic.

OK, what does that mean in practice in a slow sharp bend?

This means that the rear end, when on the edge of the traction will start to slide, but lightly, just enough for the driver to feel that he is on the edge. I prefer it to start sliding slightly than to hold to the very edge and then just fly away.

(For those who don't follow the topic, if you wonder since when is the oversteer a problem on FWD car - I have LSD installed, so it disrupted the usual understeer of a nose heavy GTV.)

On the end, everything is ok and I am very satisfied. Good job!