Welcome to Squadra916

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Alfaduden

Turbo Brutale

445 posts in this topic

Think I have seen ~235km/h a few times, a little more on a day with cold, humid air and a little less on hot days.

:)

After some hundred liters of petrol and ~500km on the Nürburgring the car earn a clap on the dashboard. Sitting on the dockside and waiting for the ferry home to Norway now. Had a minor incident the first day, more of that later. Got down to a solid 9.35 BTG time on standard road tires. I am very surprised of the chassis. FK coilovers worked fine on the ring. I will write a full summary and some pics and videos later!

Here is a in situation picture as we speak:

ububegug.jpg

Sent from my Alfa Romeo!

You'll have to come back later! A full-stock citroen AX diesel just goes under the 10 minutes this summer  :ph34r:

You'll have to come back later! A full-stock citroen AX diesel just goes under the 10 minutes this summer :ph34r:

The Top Gear Transit Van challenge too, right? With Sabine Schmidt driving...

Good job Alfaduden, I want to hear the full story B-)

Good you're back in one piece, please tell us more about your trip.

:)

Damgreg; That is impressive, but you know the weight on a 916, and compared to this AX that probably weigh half as much :P

Some pictures while you wait:

gran_turismo_nbrg006Kopie_zpsd4f9c9fc.jp

gran_turismo_nbrg211Kopie_zps5b4bbb17.jp

All cars in line to be taken picture of in speed:

DSC_8437Kopie_zps88f2f7eb.jpg

Retro:

gran_turismo_nbrg206Kopie_zps178c1d37.jp

My friends 155 and me:

gran_turismo_nbrg218Kopie_zpsda1bfe81.jp

DSC_7704Kopie_zpsdace366d.jpg

_MG_0109Kopie_zps60595d61.jpg

DSC_8137aKopie_zps08ee934f.jpg

_G5B4389_zpsb9ca2716.jpg

_G5B4970_zps9040a59f.jpg

_G5B5033_zps009f795e.jpg

_G5B5010_zps38e16e92.jpg

_G5B5464_zps86b23488.jpg

_G5B5470_zps6e25f922.jpg

Wow!......I like how the GTV leads in front of BMW and Ferrari at some of the pictures.... I bet you spank them hard. :D

Actually there was one M3 that I passed every time. The owner did not have a clue on where to turn in, or brake... Seemed lost.. So every time I came behind him, he let me pass. And a few owners of Porsche 911 struggled to run from me at some sections! :D

I have not taken the pictures, so can't take credit for that ;)

Nice experience... I will like to do... :rolleyes:

Beautiful Ferrari Testarossa in fourth picture!!! ....from Sweden?

Did you put a gopro inside the car?!!!!!!!!  ;)

Yes! At some times I had two. So hopefully I cal edit the two clips together, so that you both see my face, and the track! ;)

This will take some time though...

Nice experience... I will like to do... :rolleyes:

Beautiful Ferrari Testarossa in fourth picture!!! ....from Sweden?

Yes, this one was from Sweden. :)

I still don't know how to edit the video and make two video and one soundtrack play at the same time! What video editor do you useto do that? 

I still don't know how to edit the video and make two video and one soundtrack play at the same time! What video editor do you useto do that? 

That remain for me to find out ;) hehehe

So, It's time to write a summary of my days in the green hell in may 2014.

We took the ferry to Kiel as we wanted a calm start and as little driving as possible. Autobahn is fun the first hour and the first times you can put the pedal to the metal, but after that it is just boring!

Picture from the ferry outwards Oslofjord (I could see my house an hour later on the way south) :

IMG_3629_zps0eefae6e.jpg

just before arrival in Kiel:

IMG_3633_zps65f59f86.jpg

IMG_3632_zpsa9ba4aa8.jpg

So after testing top speed a couple of times we settled down to 140-150km/h were the GTV seems to enjoy itself. Not too much noise, fuel consumption and speed are a good compromise. The 155 also managed to keep up in this speed.

Kiel to Adenau was scheduled to take 6 hours. So a stop in Rotenburg (my regular Gasthaus is there) we stopped for lunch. Cars and ourselves started now to adapt the speeds, and long driving on the motorways.

We continued after re-fuelling and arrived Adenau approx. 17:30. Perfect time for check-in, food and beers! ;)

Before any food and drinks we took a short drive around the area and up to Eisbach/Brunchen curves. The weather was great and temperature around 20 degrees.

IMG_3637_zps20dac258.jpg

In the hotel booking I wrote (meant as a joke) that I would like a picture of the Alfa Romeo logo on the room:

IMG_3640_zpsc818eeb7.jpg

Next day (tuesday) we decided to spend the day by "trackwakling". We had a plan to rent bicycles, but the weather was not on our side, so we took the berlina :) We were lucky and there was stage-training on Nordschleife this day. We started in Bergwerk and were able to sit next to an instructor that was judging all the drivers. This was excellent for us because we could pick up a lot of tricks and brake/turn-in points! Great to see good and bad examples before we were driving on Thursday and Friday. I have some short videos that I will post later.

Steilstrecke

IMG_3645_zps1899918e.jpg

Steilstrecke_zps0150e3b8.jpg

Karusell:

IMG_3653_zps78c5a15a.jpg

This is an interesting corner(Wherselten), with braking point in to a corner just before this, then a new in to this curve:

IMG_3672_zps80a481d5.jpg

If you see the "V" in the tarmac you are supposed to turn in just where that starts-> on the right side. 

The next day (wednesday) we checked out of the hotel in Adenau and went up to Adenauer Horst before checking in to Granturismo event. Still stage training, gave us valuable input on brake and turn-in points.

After check in to the new Hotel (Linder), we went up to the old castle to eat our lunch. This gives you a very special view over the area where the Nordschleife is in:

IMG_3678_zps9804cbbf.jpg

IMG_3680_zpscd9844fe.jpg

The weather was typical of the area with rain and sun every other time...
After lunch, we went to a service station to wash our cars and prepare for the event.

Race Ready:

IMG_3682_zps76198a9f.jpg

On the evening there was a "turistenfahrt" session so we bought tickets for a couple of rounds just to warm up for the following day. The GP-strecke was open for us the same time, so we decided after two laps on the Nordschleife to go over to try the GP-strecke.

From Turistenfahrt and GP:

GTevent4_zpsc80d58f4.jpg

GTevent7_zps4d3887f2.jpg

GTevent6_zps9ad224da.jpg

GTevent5_zps57e99e4d.jpg

gran_turismo_nbrg006Kopie_zpsd4f9c9fc.jp

_MG_0109Kopie_zps60595d61.jpg

After a couple of rounds on the GP strecke my GTV suddenly stopped.... Just a short cut, then no ignition... :(

After I was towed to the depot we immediately started the troubleshooting.

An hour later after checking fuel delivery and spark plugs we opened the ignition distributor. Found the rotor to spin without engine running... hmmmmm wierd! The rotor is supposed to be attached to the camshaft, not spin around just by touching it...

This led to further investigation and we removed the housing. There we found the splint that attaches the rotor to the camshaft to be broken off...  :mellow:  :angry:

Erik pointing at the connector to the camshaft to me:

problem_zps56eaf2d6.jpg

What next, time was nine in the evening and it was getting late... After pushing the GTV out of the Pit area on the GP-strecke we jumped in the 155 Berlina and searched for this sleeve. My friend Erik is a old friend of Ron Simmons, so we went there first. They could not help, but recommended to go to the hotel, take a beer, then go to a garage in the industry area next morning. We were still hoping, so we went down for a quick look to see if anyone still were on work. Luckily the light was on and a man on a milling machine pointed at the door around the corner. Well inside we discovered several treats! 

Opel_zps60b8ed97.jpg

And the rest is for our eyes only!  :ph34r:

The man inside laughed and rushed over to the huge(!) Wuerth system full of wuerth accessories! Found the correct sleeve, cut it to correct length and knocked it in for us. We asked if we could have a few more sleeves in spare just in case. I asked how much he wanted for the help, he said nothing, but I gave him 10 EUR to a beer! He smiled all the way and wished us good luck with our Alfas  :thumbsup:

Back to the car we now had 50/50 chance for the timing to be correct. The connector to the rotor is slightly offset, so it could happen that we had to knock it out and turn 180deg... 

....Of course.. pffft,pfftpfftpftt was the sound when I turned the key... Out again, turn 180 degrees, knock sleeve back in re-assemble then... Busso is ALIVE!  :happy0045:  :hello:  :D

Dinner started at nine, we got back at eleven! Dirty and thirsty as hell and with a great surprise, the dinner was still open. And free food and drink were a happy end of this first day! :beer:  :drink:  :eat:

Thursday, first day on Nordschleife I started off a bit gently. With yesterday in fresh memory...

After a while I forgot yesterdays problem, and the tempo increased!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7jNFOKRQK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naz4Af_FV3E

GTevent1_zps6f13bc26.jpg

GTevent2_zpscad39d93.jpg

IMG_3687_zpsf5941f1e.jpg

Ca halvway through the rear pads are spread all over the rims.. Was new before we left home  :icon_eek:

IMG_3686_zps70f0c6b0.jpg

A smart way to not slip out of the leather seats:

IMG_3685_zps1c766ce2.jpg

155 in action:

_G5B5033_zps009f795e.jpg

gran_turismo_nbrg218Kopiekopi_zpsdf0c097

Not much more to say, the images can talk for itself: 

DSC_7704Kopie_zpsdace366d.jpg

Karusell2_zps5802e61f.jpg

gran_turismo_nbrg211Kopie_zps5b4bbb17.jp

gran_turismo_nbrg202Kopie_zps757cd698.jp

DSC_8137aKopie_zps08ee934f.jpg

_G5B4970_zps9040a59f.jpg

_G5B5010_zps38e16e92.jpg

Last thing to say on friday is a in action photo session of all cars:

DSC_8437Kopie_zps88f2f7eb.jpg

_G5B4389kopi_zps82d311b4.jpg

IMG_3683_zps08f3e939.jpg

8dd19314-7209-4f9c-a62b-cfd8babd4d9f_zps

From our way home:

IMG_3693_zpsc63f1161.jpg

You know that the pads are finished when this light is on:

IMG_3696_zpsf6e65948.jpg

IMG_3697_zps73108961.jpg

On the ferry from Hirtshals:

IMG_3702_zpse3653493.jpg

IMG_3700_zpse597fd47.jpg

That was more or less it... Will update the post with some more videos from stage training and my laps...

I already miss the green hell! Maybe a trip later in october... ;)

Edited by Alfaduden

Great report, event and cars  :thumbsup: !

And I even more wish to go to the ring  :D .

And the pictures from the track are great, if only they can be without text.

It is interesting to me, how was the rich guys there?

And with what engine is the 155.

:thumbsup: I'm jealous... thanks for your travel/driving story and pictures. :)

It is interesting to me, how was the rich guys there?

And with what engine is the 155.

Interesting question too, Kunev. The rich guys and girls were something that we had thought of before we arrived. What would they be like, and how would they act to us?

Well there was a bit of both actually. Some were there just to show off, and did not even take a glance at us, but others were open and attended the event because of genuine interest in cars and trackdriving. They were the people that talked with us as we were just the same as them selves.

And Lars (the guy that stand in the background when Erik is pointing the broken rotor connector to me) was very active and asked almost everyone that he could talk with to join for a few laps. He did the 430 Scuderia, 997 GT3 (several) and Audi RS4 and so on! It was nice to see some open minded people that did not care what we drove or how much money we had...

Some of the other Norwegians were nice too! and we made good contact with them. A special thanks to two swedes in a Corvette Z06 that we sat next to during dinner and in the bar both days! We shared a lot of interest and got to know them good. I guess the owner of the Corvette had money enough, but never talked of that. He was just like us and talked about everything! Very nice :)

So let the braggers be for them selves, and you can see that they did not enjoy the event as much as us! That had to save money and have cheap cars! I had great fun, and will book for next year too! :D

Oh, and I almost forgot! The 155 is a t.spark. Only with some minor modifications. V6 brakes and suspension, wide body hubs and steering and so on... He have some plans for the twin spark with throttlebody from Yamaha R1 and such.., going to be interesting to see. Aiming for 170-190hp...

Edited by Alfaduden